Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
WG, LI

Default Can't save formatting changes in Table of Contents!!

Hi all,

I want to change the format of a document's Table of Contents. In the 'Index
and Tables' window, I change the setting from 'From Template' to
'Distinctive' or 'Simple'. The new table is created, I'm satisfied.

I close the file and save changes.

When I re-open the file. The TOC has reverted back to the one I thought I
changed!

Does this have to do with the 'From Template' setting, or is there something
else I should be looking for? The headings are listed correctly, but the
formatting of the table I have here is not pleasing to the eye.

Help me change this for good, please. Any advice is most appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

In the past I have read (and believed as gospel) that it is not possible to
modify the styles if you use any formatting other than "From Template."
Others have said that they were successful in modifying the styles in the
Distinctive or Simple or whatever TOCs. Your problem, however, seems to be
just a matter of making a selection of formatting other than "From Template"
stick? If all else fails, just note or copy the formatting of the TOC styles
you like (Distinctive or Simple or whatever) and apply them to the TOC
styles in the "From Template" setting.

WG; "LI" WG, wrote in message
Hi all,

I want to change the format of a document's Table of Contents. In the

and Tables' window, I change the setting from 'From Template' to
'Distinctive' or 'Simple'. The new table is created, I'm satisfied.

I close the file and save changes.

When I re-open the file. The TOC has reverted back to the one I thought I
changed!

Does this have to do with the 'From Template' setting, or is there

something
else I should be looking for? The headings are listed correctly, but the
formatting of the table I have here is not pleasing to the eye.

Help me change this for good, please. Any advice is most appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
WG, LI

Thanks for the advice.

I did what you suggested and changed the 'From Template' settings. These
were also wiped out when I reopened the file. Should I just make the changes
then save the document as a template (after removing the text, of course)?
This way, I can have those same styles at hand to use again.

Does this problem have anything to do with the fact the style applied to all
of the lines in the table is is 'Hyperlink'?

WG

WG; "LI" WG, wrote in message
Hi all,

I want to change the format of a document's Table of Contents. In the

and Tables' window, I change the setting from 'From Template' to
'Distinctive' or 'Simple'. The new table is created, I'm satisfied.

I close the file and save changes.

When I re-open the file. The TOC has reverted back to the one I thought I
changed!

Does this have to do with the 'From Template' setting, or is there

something
else I should be looking for? The headings are listed correctly, but the
formatting of the table I have here is not pleasing to the eye.

Help me change this for good, please. Any advice is most appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If the style you're modifying is Hyperlink, then that's the problem. If you
have accepted Word's default settings, then the entire TOC entry is a
hyperlink and has the Hyperlink character style applied, even though it is
not evident (not blue and underlined) unless you unlink the TOC. Since
character styles cannot have paragraph formatting, that would be the
problem. You must instead modify the TOC 1, TOC 2, etc., style. If you're
using Word 2002 or 2003, these may be a bit harder to access--fairly easy
through the TOC dialog (Modify...), less easy (albeit possible) afterward.

To access any style in Word 2002/2003, select Custom at the bottom of the
Styles and Formatting task pane. This opens the Format Settings dialog.
Click Styles... in the bottom left corner, which opens the Style dialog.
Select TOC 1 (or whatever) and click Modify... to access the Modify Style
dialog for that style. This is a pane, IMO, so I have added a toolbar button
that opens the Style dialog directly.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In the past I have read (and believed as gospel) that it is not possible

modify the styles if you use any formatting other than "From Template."
Others have said that they were successful in modifying the styles in

the
Distinctive or Simple or whatever TOCs. Your problem, however, seems to

be
just a matter of making a selection of formatting other than "From

Template"
stick? If all else fails, just note or copy the formatting of the TOC

styles
you like (Distinctive or Simple or whatever) and apply them to the TOC
styles in the "From Template" setting.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.