luddite427

Default footers in Word

Using MS Word from Office 2000. Want to change data in footer to distinguish
different changes made to a document, e.g., annotate some pages as derived
from change 1 to the document and other pages as change 2 to the document.
Change 1 or change 2 can affect any of the pages in no particular sequence,
and be interspersed throughout the document. believe it's not
practical/desirable to insert section breaks everywhere the document has been
changed - as usually done to modify footer info. how else to do it?

luddite427

Thanks. I can use styleref to input a "styled" response field, as you
suggest. But the dilemma comes from where the field/change reference needs to
be placed, i.e., in the footer. Believe that's where it remains until/unless
I insert another section break to remove "Change 1" from the footer or
re-enter it as "Change 2", etc. And inserting all those section breaks is
what I'd like to avoid, being somewhat awkward with the many changed pages
that I have to deal with.

Any way around the "change via section break" scenario? The term "Change x"
needs to appear in the footer adjacent to the page number, that is also
inserted/calculated in the footer.

Inserting the data is easy. Making it go away or be something else is what I
can't do easily.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You might investigate the StyleRef field to see if it might do what you
want.

"luddite427" wrote in message
Using MS Word from Office 2000. Want to change data in footer to

distinguish
different changes made to a document, e.g., annotate some pages as derived
from change 1 to the document and other pages as change 2 to the document.
Change 1 or change 2 can affect any of the pages in no particular

sequence,
and be interspersed throughout the document. believe it's not
practical/desirable to insert section breaks everywhere the document has

been
changed - as usually done to modify footer info. how else to do it?

The idea of the StyleRef field is that you put a paragraph on the page in a
given style, and whatever appears in that style on a given page shows up in
the footer. So you put "Change 1" somewhere on the page, and it appears in
the footer. For pages with no change, you insert an empty paragraph in the
given style.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You might investigate the StyleRef field to see if it might do what you
want.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"luddite427" wrote in message
Using MS Word from Office 2000. Want to change data in footer to

distinguish
different changes made to a document, e.g., annotate some pages as

derived
from change 1 to the document and other pages as change 2 to the

document.
Change 1 or change 2 can affect any of the pages in no particular

sequence,
and be interspersed throughout the document. believe it's not
practical/desirable to insert section breaks everywhere the document

has
been
changed - as usually done to modify footer info. how else to do it?

luddite427

So that's what you meant. Thanks. Never inserted a field before, so i'm
having a bit of difficulty inserting StyleRef in the proper manner. On-line
help not helping me much, but I'll keep trying.

The style I need to use is hidden text style, so that "change 1" doesn't
actually show up anywhere except in the footer. Hope that's workable.