Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mac

Default Formula in a Word Table with chars in the cell

I am trying to put a formula in a word table similar to below but I keep
getting syntax error

=IF(b2="Y",50,0)

Is it that you cant use characters in a formula in word, I know I can do it
in excel but cant seem to master it in word.

I would be grateful if anyone has any ideas
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod

Hi Mac,

You can use characters in Word formulae, but not with the syntax you've
used, and not with cell referencing.

If you bookmark the *contents* of cell B2, not the cell itself, you could
use a field coded like:
{IF{BkMrk}= Y 50 0}
where 'BkMrk' is the name of your bookmark and the field braces (ie '{ }')
are created in pairs via Ctrl-F9.
If you need to handle the possibility that the 'Y' might be entered as 'y',
you could use:
{IF{BkMrk \* Caps}= Y 50 0}

Cheers