Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rong Rong is offline

Default how to perform auto correct function on a mail merge document

in a mail merge, I am familar with the "if...then...else" statemant.
I have a group of codes - 6 of them that I want expanded on the merged
output letter.
Input is in an excel file.
data in that looks like "P/S" in the letter I want "Perry Smith Memorial
Fund" to appear.
any suggestons?
I've updated the auto correct function and it works fine when I type "P/S"
but
how to perform that on the output of the mail merge?
Rong
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

With mail merge it's usually better to correct the source data. Open the
Excel file and make the change there.

You could also make the change in the merge SQL statement.

"Rong" wrote in message
in a mail merge, I am familar with the "if...then...else" statemant.
I have a group of codes - 6 of them that I want expanded on the merged
output letter.
Input is in an excel file.
data in that looks like "P/S" in the letter I want "Perry Smith Memorial
Fund" to appear.
any suggestons?
I've updated the auto correct function and it works fine when I type "P/S"
but
how to perform that on the output of the mail merge?
Rong

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you are certain that there is *only* going to be one of six entries in
this field you could use a series of conditional fields all on the same line
eg
{IF {Mergefield fieldname} = "P/S" "Perry Smith Memorial Fund"}{IF
{Mergefield fieldname} = "XB" "Something else"}etc
It would however be easier to add another column to the data file and
produce the required merge information there.
Don't even think of autocorrect for this.

Rong wrote:
in a mail merge, I am familiar with the "if...then...else" statement.
I have a group of codes - 6 of them that I want expanded on the merged
output letter.
Input is in an excel file.
data in that looks like "P/S" in the letter I want "Perry Smith
Memorial Fund" to appear.
any suggestions?