Gordon

Default Changing an Autotext Entry

Word 2002 - the Autotext entry does not change after changing it!
I have an entry on the Autotext menu that says Company Signature - GBP
Computing. If I choose "Insert-Autotext-Signature Company-GBP Computing"
I get just that - "GBP Computing". Following the Help instructions, I
insert that signature, overwrite it with the one I want, select the
text, go to "Insert-Autotext-New", name it "Signature Company", click OK
and I get a box that says "Do you want to redefine the Autotext Entry".
I click "Yes" but nothing changes! What am I doing wrong?
Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
Gordon

Gordon wrote:
Word 2002 - the Autotext entry does not change after changing it!
I have an entry on the Autotext menu that says Company Signature - GBP
Computing. If I choose "Insert-Autotext-Signature Company-GBP Computing"
I get just that - "GBP Computing". Following the Help instructions, I
insert that signature, overwrite it with the one I want, select the
text, go to "Insert-Autotext-New", name it "Signature Company", click OK
and I get a box that says "Do you want to redefine the Autotext Entry".
I click "Yes" but nothing changes! What am I doing wrong?

I've just noticed it's saved it under "Autotext-Normal". How do I get it
to save under "Signature Company"?

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
TF

When you select Insert, AutoText, AutoText, at the bottom of the dialog
there's a box 'Look in...'. If you click on that box you will see a list of
active templates. Select the correct template and then overwrite it.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Gordon" wrote in message
: Gordon wrote:
: Word 2002 - the Autotext entry does not change after changing it!
: I have an entry on the Autotext menu that says Company Signature - GBP
: Computing. If I choose "Insert-Autotext-Signature Company-GBP Computing"
: I get just that - "GBP Computing". Following the Help instructions, I
: insert that signature, overwrite it with the one I want, select the
: text, go to "Insert-Autotext-New", name it "Signature Company", click OK
: and I get a box that says "Do you want to redefine the Autotext Entry".
: I click "Yes" but nothing changes! What am I doing wrong?
: I've just noticed it's saved it under "Autotext-Normal". How do I get it
: to save under "Signature Company"?
:
: --
: Interim Systems and Management Accounting
: Gordon Burgess-Parker
: Director
: www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Gordon

TF wrote:
When you select Insert, AutoText, AutoText, at the bottom of the dialog
there's a box 'Look in...'. If you click on that box you will see a list of
active templates. Select the correct template and then overwrite it.

if I do that I only get two options, Normal or All Active templates. I
don see any of the categories as templates that are in the drop-down
Autotext box, such as Attention, Mailing Instructions, Header/Footer,
Salutation, etc etc. I've now lost the "Signature Company GBP Computing"
as a separate category, although that now appears under "Normal" with
the correct text in it!

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
Charles Kenyon

The categories in the AutoText menu are based on the Style of the original
entry. normal is such a style. There is also the normal.dot template.

--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Gordon" wrote in message
TF wrote:
When you select Insert, AutoText, AutoText, at the bottom of the dialog
there's a box 'Look in...'. If you click on that box you will see a list
of active templates. Select the correct template and then overwrite it.

if I do that I only get two options, Normal or All Active templates. I don
see any of the categories as templates that are in the drop-down Autotext
box, such as Attention, Mailing Instructions, Header/Footer, Salutation,
etc etc. I've now lost the "Signature Company GBP Computing" as a separate
category, although that now appears under "Normal" with the correct text
in it!

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Margaret Aldis

"Gordon" wrote in message
I've just noticed it's saved it under "Autotext-Normal". How do I get it
to save under "Signature Company"?

Hi Gordon

Make sure the signature text is in a paragraph of style "Signature Company"
before you select and add it as AutoText. The menu groupings are based on
styles.
--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

Autotext entry does not save Padraig Microsoft Word Help 1 February 13th 05 11:34 PM
How to make doc's FullName into an AutoText entry without first inserting it into document Larry Microsoft Word Help 9 February 2nd 05 02:54 AM
simple word question rvance New Users 8 February 1st 05 02:16 AM
Autotext Fonts keep changing kd1s Page Layout 2 December 2nd 04 09:50 PM
Using Hyperlinks in Mail Merge IF...THEN...ELSE Statements Mark V Mailmerge 8 November 30th 04 01:31 PM