Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
rhorton508 rhorton508 is offline

Default Heading Problems

I have carefully set up my headings ala Shauna Kelly. Most of the time there
is no problem. However, in this one particular instance, when I opened my
document for editing, the headings changed. I had set them up as Arial 12 pt
bold, but when I opened the document the headings were no longer bold. This
happened to about 80% of my headings, and for various heading levels. The
numbering itself was still bold, but the text of the heading was not. I
managed to correct it by hitting CTL+Spacebar to strip out character
formatting, but I never put any character formatting in the heading in the
first place. This also happened to one of my styles where it, too, was no
longer bold (CTL+spacebar corrected that problem, as well).

Stranger still, the hanging indent I had set up for most of my lists (style
= Body Text Indent) went from a .25" Left Indent with a .5" Hanging Indent to
No Left Indent and a Hanging Indent of .75".

Somehow these separate indicdents seem related. BTW, none of my styles is
set to automatically update. I also fixed when I manually re-applied the
style to the paragraph.

It would be terribly time-consuming to find each affected heading and fix it
(the document is 550 pages long).

How did this happen? And what can I do to 1) quickly fix my present problem,
and 2) prevent this from happening in the future.

Thank you!

Robert Horton