Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rob Parkinson Rob Parkinson is offline

Default How and where are macros stored?

This is a two-part question:

1) I am leaving my job to work for another organization, and would like to
take my macros with me. Are they stored in normal.dot?

2) I would like my present colleagues to be able to use my macros. I gather
that this could be done by storing the macros in a document, which others
could then use. However, I have been unable to figure out how to do this.

Any help you can offer would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Rob Parkinson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

1) Unless you specified some other location when you recorded or wrote
the macros, then they are in normal.dot. You can take your present
normal.dot to the new organization, or you can use the Organizer to
copy them to a separate template and take that. To open the Organizer,
go to Tools Templates and Add-Ins, and click the button at the
bottom of the dialog.

2) Although macros *can* be stored in documents, it's usually a Really
Bad Idea (tm). Tinkering with other users' normal.dot templates is
also not recommended. You can use the Organizer to copy or move the
macros from your normal.dot to a new template, which you can then send
to your colleagues. See
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...buteMacros.htm.

You should also read
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...latesStore.htm and
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/temp...ons/index.html.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 16:11:01 -0700, Rob Parkinson
wrote:

This is a two-part question:

1) I am leaving my job to work for another organization, and would like to
take my macros with me. Are they stored in normal.dot?

2) I would like my present colleagues to be able to use my macros. I gather
that this could be done by storing the macros in a document, which others
could then use. However, I have been unable to figure out how to do this.

Any help you can offer would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Rob Parkinson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rob Parkinson Rob Parkinson is offline

Jay, Suzanne:

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your help.

Regards,

Rob Parkinson

wrote:

This is a two-part question:

1) I am leaving my job to work for another organization, and would like to
take my macros with me. Are they stored in normal.dot?

2) I would like my present colleagues to be able to use my macros. I gather
that this could be done by storing the macros in a document, which others
could then use. However, I have been unable to figure out how to do this.

Any help you can offer would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Rob Parkinson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

See http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm for step-by-step
instructions on moving / sharing / copying / backing-up customizations
including AutoText, AutoCorrect, keyboard assignments, toolbars, macros,
etc.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.