rcraigpowers

Default How to show a list of the files on a floppy disk

I have about 10 floppies that contain my resumes and cover letters for
applying for a job. Most of the disks have between 30 to 50 files on them.
On one disk, I'll put all resumes. On another, all of my cover letters to go
with the resumes. for the resumes I use a number and then go from A-Z then
what it is called. (i.e. 1A administrative assistant, 1B customer service,
1C.....etc.). after that, 2A, 2B. and so on til I get to Z, then I go to the
next #. I'm on 3P right now. I need to know how to make a list of what is
on each floppy disk Just the name of the files, not their contents.
TF

You need to use a utility such as Print Directory Tree (search on Google) to
do this.

However, I must warn you that if these files have any importance, be very
careful as floppies are notoriously bad at corrupting documents. Always Copy
from the floppy to your local hard drive (and vice versa). Never open a
document directly from a floppy and never save directly to a floppy. If you
have a CD-Writer, I would recommend that you copy these files back to your
hard disk and then burn them to CD. If those are the only copies of the
files, then it is scary stuff.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"rcraigpowers" wrote in message
news :I have about 10 floppies that contain my resumes and cover letters for
: applying for a job. Most of the disks have between 30 to 50 files on
them.
: On one disk, I'll put all resumes. On another, all of my cover letters to
go
: with the resumes. for the resumes I use a number and then go from A-Z then
: what it is called. (i.e. 1A administrative assistant, 1B customer
service,
: 1C.....etc.). after that, 2A, 2B. and so on til I get to Z, then I go to
the
: next #. I'm on 3P right now. I need to know how to make a list of what
is
: on each floppy disk Just the name of the files, not their contents.

Graham Mayor

There are several ways to do this, but one of the simplest is to use the
(freeware) printfolders utilty which is linked from the downloads page of my
web site. This will allow you to save/print file lists in a variety of
layouts.

Note: Never ever read from, write to or print from floppy with Word. This is
the most certain method of ensuring document corruption. Copy to the hard
disc and work on the document from there.