Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
removing all headers and footers[_2_] removing all headers and footers[_2_] is offline

Default Getting rid of UK English--MS Word 2003 Speller

My book chapter files were copyedited in England and now own my MS WORD 2003
speller insists on using English (UK) when spell checking these files.

I have set the MS Word 2003 tools/language default as English (US), and
also Windows XP regional/language setting in control panel is set for English
(US), but when I work on these files and spell check them, the speller STILL
insists on using English (UK) and stopping for all US words that are spelled
differently in British English.

How do I permanently, forever, get rid of English (UK) in MS Word and
Windows XP? I have no use for it.... Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Ctrl+A (Select All) and use Tools | Language | Set Language to change the
language setting to English (U.S.). Note that Ctrl+A selects the document
body only; you may need to change the language for headers, footers,
footnotes, endnotes, etc., separately.

http://word.mvps.org

t.com wrote in message
My book chapter files were copyedited in England and now own my MS WORD
2003
speller insists on using English (UK) when spell checking these files.

I have set the MS Word 2003 tools/language default as English (US), and
also Windows XP regional/language setting in control panel is set for
English
(US), but when I work on these files and spell check them, the speller
STILL
insists on using English (UK) and stopping for all US words that are
spelled
differently in British English.

How do I permanently, forever, get rid of English (UK) in MS Word and
Windows XP? I have no use for it.... Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
removing all headers and footers[_2_] removing all headers and footers[_2_] is offline

Great! It now works fine.

Suzanne, as ever, you are a lifesaver. thanks, Joe

t.com wrote in message
My book chapter files were copyedited in England and now own my MS WORD
2003
speller insists on using English (UK) when spell checking these files.

I have set the MS Word 2003 tools/language default as English (US), and
also Windows XP regional/language setting in control panel is set for
English
(US), but when I work on these files and spell check them, the speller
STILL
insists on using English (UK) and stopping for all US words that are
spelled
differently in British English.

How do I permanently, forever, get rid of English (UK) in MS Word and
Windows XP? I have no use for it.... Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
removing all headers and footers[_2_] removing all headers and footers[_2_] is offline

Unfortunately, now in these new files they will not let me add endnotes.
Every attempt to insert notes crashes Word entirely?? Not sure what is going
on. JF

t.com wrote in message
My book chapter files were copyedited in England and now own my MS WORD
2003
speller insists on using English (UK) when spell checking these files.

I have set the MS Word 2003 tools/language default as English (US), and
also Windows XP regional/language setting in control panel is set for
English
(US), but when I work on these files and spell check them, the speller
STILL
insists on using English (UK) and stopping for all US words that are
spelled
differently in British English.

How do I permanently, forever, get rid of English (UK) in MS Word and
Windows XP? I have no use for it.... Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Surely not language-related. Perhaps the document is corrupt? Have you tried
Open and Repair?

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Ctrl+A (Select All) and use Tools | Language | Set Language to change
the
language setting to English (U.S.). Note that Ctrl+A selects the
document
body only; you may need to change the language for headers, footers,
footnotes, endnotes, etc., separately.

http://word.mvps.org

"removing all headers and footers"
t.com wrote in
message
My book chapter files were copyedited in England and now own my MS
WORD
2003
speller insists on using English (UK) when spell checking these
files.

I have set the MS Word 2003 tools/language default as English (US),
and
also Windows XP regional/language setting in control panel is set for
English
(US), but when I work on these files and spell check them, the
speller
STILL
insists on using English (UK) and stopping for all US words that are
spelled
differently in British English.

How do I permanently, forever, get rid of English (UK) in MS Word and
Windows XP? I have no use for it.... Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
removing all headers and footers[_2_] removing all headers and footers[_2_] is offline

Hi, I am not sure what you mean by open and repair a file?

Interestingly, the original files (before I did the Control A procedure that
solved the speller and autocorrect problems) will let me put endnotes and
footnotes into them, no problem with that. It is only new control A corrected
file that crashes when I try to put even one note in? JF

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

File, Open, select the document and then press the little arrow attached to
the OPEN button and select Open and Repair.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
removing all headers and footers[_2_] removing all headers and footers[_2_] is offline

thanks, I tried that open and repair, and it too did not help.

When I try to insert a footnote into the Control-A file that I worked over
like Suzanne suggested, I still get a MS Visual Basic error message (runtime
error 424, object.....) or it just crashes ---- and thus it will not let me
insert a note.

The original file before her solution to the language problem, however, does
let me insert notes anywhere.....

JF

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I can't see how changing the language of the text could affect the ability
to insert notes.

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Are you able to do this in other documents or is it just this one document?
Does it allow you if you don't change the language first?

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

She already said she can edit footnotes if she doesn't change the language.
I just find this totally bizarre.

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Ctrl+A (Select All) and use Tools | Language | Set Language to
change
the
language setting to English (U.S.). Note that Ctrl+A selects the
document
body only; you may need to change the language for headers,
footers,
footnotes, endnotes, etc., separately.

http://word.mvps.org

"removing all headers and footers"
t.com wrote
in
message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
removing all headers and footers[_2_] removing all headers and footers[_2_] is offline

Actually, I have now checked the other 13 chapters that were copyedited in
Britain, and they crash when I try to insert an endnote before and after I do
Suzanne's suggestion of Control A and set language. The select and set
language suggestion works for these, but then they too crash when I try to
insert notes. I think she is right, these note insertion crashes are a
different issue. Any idea on how to correct them? Could it be a template
issue? thanks, JF

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.newusers

This suggests that some code is running in the document (although googling
that error message turns up a plethora of confusing information). I'm going
to cross-post this to microsoft.public.word.application.errors, where it may
attract the attention of readers who might be more knowledgeable about such
errors.

For a start, though, try starting Word in Office Safe Mode (press Ctrl while
it is loading) and see if you experience the problem there. If not, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm for general
troubleshooting steps regarding Normal.dot, the Registry, add-ins, and so
on. On the face of it, I would suspect an add-in.

http://word.mvps.org

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Ctrl+A (Select All) and use Tools | Language | Set Language
change
the
language setting to English (U.S.). Note that Ctrl+A selects
the
document
body only; you may need to change the language for headers,
footers,
footnotes, endnotes, etc., separately.

http://word.mvps.org

"removing all headers and footers"
t.com
wrote
in
message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.newusers
removing all headers and footers[_2_] removing all headers and footers[_2_] is offline

Starting in safe mode, these copyedited files allow new endnotes to be
inserted. But the normal template does not seem to be corrupted as hundreds
of other new and old files permit me to add endnotes to them?

When that error messages comes up, it give option of debugging, and when you
go to microsoft visual basic, this is the full error message given:

InsertFootnote()
'First, make sure IP is in a valid location to insert footnote
If Selection.ShapeRange.Count 0 Then
MsgBox "Insertion Point (IP) can not be in a frame or textbox" &
vbCrLf _
& "when inserting a footnote." & vbCrLf & vbCrLf _
& "Please place the IP in the text of the document where you " &
vbCrLf _
& "want to insert the note reference mark and try again.",
vbInformation, "Footnote Wizard"
End

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.newusers

Okay, this means that there is an InsertFootnote macro running in place of
Word's built-in command because you wouldn't see anything in the VBE
otherwise. Someone seems to have created an entirely unnecessary Footnote
Wizard. Go to Tools | Macro | Macros, find the InsertFootnote or macro, make
sure it's in the document itself (set "Macros in" to the active document,
not "All active templates and documents" or "Word commands"), and delete it.

As a matter of curiosity, do you have this same problem if you use
Ctrl+Alt+F (which should invoke the InsertFootnoteNow command)? If so, that
shortcut may have been assigned to the InsertFootnote macro.

http://word.mvps.org

&

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.application.errors,microsoft.public.word.newusers
removing all headers and footers[_2_] removing all headers and footers[_2_] is offline

When I try to insert an endnote into these files, I get that numbered error
message and then when I go into debug in Visual Basic at bottom of error
message, I get this further comment stuff. Is this helpful?:

InsertFootnote()
'First, make sure IP is in a valid location to insert footnote
If Selection.ShapeRange.Count 0 Then
MsgBox "Insertion Point (IP) can not be in a frame or textbox" &
vbCrLf _
& "when inserting a footnote." & vbCrLf & vbCrLf _
& "Please place the IP in the text of the document where you " &
vbCrLf _
& "want to insert the note reference mark and try again.",
vbInformation, "Footnote Wizard"

And could this be some sort of conflict with the styles and formatting stuff
, of which there is a lot in these files. They were the basis for a printed
book, and I am revising that book, and these files, now. JF

Foreign language speller Dag New Users 1 June 12th 07 03:24 AM
speller problem [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 1 June 12th 06 05:10 PM
speller for word 2000 tzafrir Microsoft Word Help 0 October 2nd 05 10:30 PM
How to install the italian speller SoLeLuNa Microsoft Word Help 1 June 22nd 05 04:52 PM
how do I get Hebrew speller add in in Word? almougy Mailmerge 1 April 25th 05 12:24 PM