Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Butterfly Bill[_2_] Butterfly Bill[_2_] is offline

Default Word 2007: index cross references

How do I insert an entry into an index like "Bunnies, see Rabbits",
that is not followed by any page numbers, such that it will appear in
the right alphabetical place when I update the index?

-Butterfly
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Place the insertion point where you want the index entry. On the References
tab, click Mark Entry. Specify "bunnies" as the "Main entry." Then select
the radio button next to "Cross-reference" and type in "rabbits." Click the
Mark button.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Butterfly Bill" wrote in message
How do I insert an entry into an index like "Bunnies, see Rabbits",
that is not followed by any page numbers, such that it will appear in
the right alphabetical place when I update the index?

-Butterfly

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sat, 5 Sep 2009 09:26:55 -0700 (PDT), Butterfly Bill
wrote:

How do I insert an entry into an index like "Bunnies, see Rabbits",
that is not followed by any page numbers, such that it will appear in
the right alphabetical place when I update the index?

-Butterfly

If you're using the Mark Entry button on the Insert Index dialog, just
select the Cross-reference option and type the term in the box to its
right (the word "See" is supplied, although you can change it).

This creates a field in the document that looks like this:

{ XE "Bunnies" \t "See Rabbits" }

When the Index field picks up this XE field, it will create the entry
with the cross-reference instead of a page number.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Butterfly Bill[_2_] Butterfly Bill[_2_] is offline

On Sep 5, 11:35*am, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:
Place the insertion point where you want the index entry. On the References
tab, click Mark Entry. Specify "bunnies" as the "Main entry." Then select
the radio button next to "Cross-reference" and type in "rabbits." Click the
Mark button.

That worked. I didn't know if it was going to want to put in the
number for the page I was inserting the code on. I also didn't know
where in the document to put it at first, butI just put them all at
the end.t
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Well, of course you can put index entries that don't display a page number
anywhere in the text.

However, it might be a little easier to keep track of them if you place them
next to the item that you are referencing (that is, next to { XE "bunnies" }
in this case).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP