deborah poe

Default troubleshoting pagination and section breaks

I have a document with three different sections (a thesis
manuscript for a colleauge).

The first section has two pages, neither of which should
have pagination. The section section has three pages that
should be labeled from roman numeral ii (iii and iv). The
third section should begin with arabic number 1.

I am able to insert section breaks, and to insert headers
for the three sections. However, the first and third
section are linked somehow. No matter what I do, I can't
remove pagination from the first section. For example the
first and third section both have page 1 on them.

According to every Web site/troubleshooting site for MS
Word, this should not be happening due to directions I
followed. I even created a new document with placeholder
text. The same problem.

Can you advise? I am working on a deadline for Friday May
6th.

Kind regards,
Deborah Poe )
Daiya Mitchell

No one knows what directions you followed and thus can't have a clue whether
you did anything wrong, but here's how to do what you want:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

You need to use the icons on the header/footer toolbar to turn off "same as
previous," or unlink the headers.

You may also find clarifying information at:
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Charles Kenyon

If http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm was not one
of the places you look, check it out. I suspect your problem is coming from
multiple sections on page. A secondary problem comes from inserting page
numbers through the menu command rather than in the header/footer.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"deborah poe" wrote in message
[...]

Deborah Poe

As an alumni of Microsoft, I'm not clear on how this tone or response is
conducive to a customer focused response. In any case, the directions I
followed were those in Microsoft Word 's Help. Then I went to various MVP
sites but hadn't located this one. Thank you for the link. I will try this
and see if it works. Kind regards, Deborah Poe

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

[...]

Daiya Mitchell

See also:

This is peer-to-peer help, no one is a customer of mine, so no, it wasn't a
customer-focused response. I may consider the tone "crisp", you seem to
read it as "rude." Well, that's the way newsgroups go. My primary
consideration is producing a helpful response.

DM