Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Edward H. Sebesta

Default Microsoft screws up computer systems, but it is our problem to fix

This is a supposed fix?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165

How many people will be able to follow these instructions?

Screw up people's computers and then give them something that really isn't a
fix except for Tech heads.

Maybe this is a Vista marketing technique. Screw up XP so we have to buy the
next Operating System.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Most users can follow the instructions. More importantly, most do not need
to follow them because, although it has been huge on these newsgroups, the
update is a problem for only a very small percentage of Windows users.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Edward H. Sebesta" wrote in
message ...
This is a supposed fix?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165

How many people will be able to follow these instructions?

Screw up people's computers and then give them something that really isn't
fix except for Tech heads.

Maybe this is a Vista marketing technique. Screw up XP so we have to buy
the
next Operating System.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Edward H. Sebesta

Default Microsoft screws up computer systems, but it is our problem to

Most everyday users can't follow these instructions, and messing with the
registry is always high risk. You are just rationalizing and making excuses
for Microsoft.

This is the old blame it on the user and denigrate him or her for not being
part of some software elite.

Ed

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

Most users can follow the instructions. More importantly, most do not need
to follow them because, although it has been huge on these newsgroups, the
update is a problem for only a very small percentage of Windows users.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Edward H. Sebesta" wrote in
message ...
This is a supposed fix?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165

How many people will be able to follow these instructions?

Screw up people's computers and then give them something that really isn't
fix except for Tech heads.

Maybe this is a Vista marketing technique. Screw up XP so we have to buy
the
next Operating System.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

Furthermore, it is *not* a "fix", it's a workaround to keep people
working for a week while a real fix is prepared.

The one thing I do fault Microsoft for is publishing instructions to
edit the registry manually, instead of publishing a simple script like
the one provided by Kelly's Korner
(http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm, line 383, right side).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 15:38:48 -0500, "Charles Kenyon"
wrote:

Most users can follow the instructions. More importantly, most do not need
to follow them because, although it has been huge on these newsgroups, the
update is a problem for only a very small percentage of Windows users.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Edward H. Sebesta" wrote in
message ...
This is a supposed fix?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165

How many people will be able to follow these instructions?

Screw up people's computers and then give them something that really isn't
fix except for Tech heads.

Maybe this is a Vista marketing technique. Screw up XP so we have to buy
the
next Operating System.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Edward H. Sebesta

This is the article from CMP publication which says that the Microsoft fix is
a workaround and dangerous to do.

http://www.techweb.com/showArticle.j...leID=185303742

Microsoft in this article recommends updating HP software.

Also, the article says that the workaround doesn't work to fix all problems.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

Most users can follow the instructions. More importantly, most do not need
to follow them because, although it has been huge on these newsgroups, the
update is a problem for only a very small percentage of Windows users.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Edward H. Sebesta" wrote in
message ...
This is a supposed fix?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165

How many people will be able to follow these instructions?

Screw up people's computers and then give them something that really isn't
fix except for Tech heads.

Maybe this is a Vista marketing technique. Screw up XP so we have to buy
the
next Operating System.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

Although Microsoft can hardly be considered free from blame on this, the
problem as I understand it, is that a bang-up-to-date Windows system has
some incompatibilities with out-of-date software from some other suppliers.

If you were affected by this perhaps you could tell me why you choose to
unquestioningly apply the latest updates to your Microsoft software while
letting your other software (with equally free updates available) wither on
the vine. It seems irrational to say the least.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Edward H. Sebesta" wrote in
message ...
This is a supposed fix?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165

How many people will be able to follow these instructions?

Screw up people's computers and then give them something that really isn't

fix except for Tech heads.

Maybe this is a Vista marketing technique. Screw up XP so we have to buy

the
next Operating System.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Edward H. Sebesta

Blame the user rational. How about having software that works when I pay good
money for it and doesn't need constant patching and repairs.

Perhaps I mean to use a computer to do something rather than making my
life's work trying to fix all the software problems.

Also, why should I accept any more updates than I need to when it is obvious
that updates put the computer at risk.

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Blame the user rational. How about having software that works when I pay
good
money for it and doesn't need constant patching and repairs.

Presumably this would equally apply to the HP and nVidia software.

"Edward H. Sebesta" wrote in
message ...

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

A small percentage update their Windows software regularly but not their
other software? Less than a tenth of a percent of Windows users is a small
percentage by my count.

Troll?

"Edward H. Sebesta" wrote in
message ...