Muriel

Default How do I uninstall Word?

I had to reboot my computer and the reboot cd automatically installed
microsoft word. But I don't have a product key for that one. I tried
installing my microsoft office 2000 (professional) cd, but when i open word
and put in the product key from my office cd, it says invalid product key. So
how do I uninstall the word that was automatically installed so that i can
install my cd and use that product key?
I can't even find a word folder i could delete to get rid of it:P

In add/remove programs all i have is Microsoft .NET framework 1.1, Microsoft
Data Access Components KB870669, Microsoft Internet Explorer 6SP1 and
Internet Tools, Microsoft Outlook Express 6, Microsoft Web Publishing Wizard
1.6 and a couple windows updates. Would i have to uninstall one of them?
Thomas Campitelli

Howdy Muriel,

This sounds a bit tricky. Firstly, make sure you are logged in as an
administrator, preferably the "Administrator" account. Try putting in
your Office CD again, and choosing the Change/Remove option and
uninstalling Office. That should allow you to get rid of all of the
office components in theory.

You said you had to reboot your computer, which actually means to turn
the machine off and then turn it on again. I assume you meant reinstall
your operating system and all the programs using a quick restore disk.
Try putting the restore disk in while the computer is running and see if
it offers you the option to add or remove additional components. Perhaps
it will allow you to get rid of Word that way.

Just finiding the Word directory and deleting it is a bad idea. There
are lots of entries in the Windows registry that would still remain and
potentially cause problems.

Thomas Campitelli