Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mattajang Mattajang is offline

Default Separating Headers From Page Numbers on Same Line

This is my first time at writing a book. I want my page numbers on the
outside of my mirror-margined pages. I was able to do this fine, but when I
went back to put in my title/chaper headers on the odd/even pages (I want
these centered on the page), the page number moved to the center also. When I
moved the page number back to the outside, the title/chapter moved over also.
How can I correct this so that the page number stays on the outside and the
title/chapter stays in the center? This is for Word 2003. Thanks so much for
any help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Word's built-in Header and Footer styles have two built-in tab stops, a
center one at the center of the line and a right-aligned one at the right
margin. Assuming you have already checked "Different odd and even" on the
Layout tab of Page Setup, in your Even Page Header, click the Insert Page
Number button at the left margin, then tab once to the center tab and insert
your chapter title (save work by using a StyleRef field for this). In the
Odd Page Header, tab once to insert the book title, then again to insert the
page number.

"Mattajang" wrote in message
This is my first time at writing a book. I want my page numbers on the
outside of my mirror-margined pages. I was able to do this fine, but when

went back to put in my title/chaper headers on the odd/even pages (I want
these centered on the page), the page number moved to the center also.

When I
moved the page number back to the outside, the title/chapter moved over

also.
How can I correct this so that the page number stays on the outside and

the
title/chapter stays in the center? This is for Word 2003. Thanks so much

for
any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Use the odd/even headers/footers from file page setup. Left align the
header line and use a centre tab for the bit you want in the centre then a
right aligned tab for what you want on the right and no tab for what you
want on the left. Setup the odd and even pages separately.

Mattajang wrote:
This is my first time at writing a book. I want my page numbers on the
outside of my mirror-margined pages. I was able to do this fine, but
when I went back to put in my title/chaper headers on the odd/even
pages (I want these centered on the page), the page number moved to
the center also. When I moved the page number back to the outside,
the title/chapter moved over also. How can I correct this so that the
page number stays on the outside and the title/chapter stays in the
center? This is for Word 2003. Thanks so much for any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mattajang Mattajang is offline

Thanks Suzanne and Graham,

I'll try your suggestions and see if that helps anyl. I really appreciate
your help! Thanks again!

Mattajang wrote:
This is my first time at writing a book. I want my page numbers on the
outside of my mirror-margined pages. I was able to do this fine, but
when I went back to put in my title/chaper headers on the odd/even
pages (I want these centered on the page), the page number moved to
the center also. When I moved the page number back to the outside,
the title/chapter moved over also. How can I correct this so that the
page number stays on the outside and the title/chapter stays in the
center? This is for Word 2003. Thanks so much for any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You are welcome.

Mattajang wrote: