Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pmsimp pmsimp is offline

Default Page Numbering "Continue from Previous Section" not the default?

Using Office 2007 & Vista

In a document with 6 sections, and the "Same as Previous" turned ON - why
does the page number want to start over on every section. I would have
thought the default would have been to continue the page number - since we
have turned ON the same as previous (so we obviously want the footer to
continue.)

I know how to fix it through the page number format box, but I am in the
testing stage before we roll this out to everyone, and I'm wondering if there
was something I could change in the page number galleries or in normal.dot
that would make it so the default was "continue from Previous section"
instead of "Restart at 1." (Especially if the "same as previous" is turned
on.)

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

When you add a section, "Same as Previous" is always turned on,
unfortunately. The only way to change that behavior is to make use of a
macro when adding section breaks.

However, the setting for page number restarts will be inherited from the
existing section where you insert your section break. Note that this means
you could edit your template to have the desired setting ("Start at" or in
your case "Continue from previous section") for page numbering.

To edit normal.dotm: Search for the file in Windows (be sure to search
hidden files and folders). When you find it, right-click its icon and choose
Open from the context menu. Make the desired changes. When you are done,
save and close the file.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP