Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Barclay

Default Displaying every page in Two-Page view

Coming into a new job, I've been handed an absolutely massive monitor which
allowing me to view and edit documents in the two-page side-by-side view.
This is helpful in page prievew mode, because I am able to see the pages
layed out as they would pring in back-to-back mode, odd pages displayed on
the left, even on the right.

However, when I'm viewing my documents in Print Layout View to add to and
edit them, the pages are not laying out quite as neatly. Word is being
"helpful" by hiding the blank pages caused by the "Section Break (Odd Page)",
which is inserted after the end of every section. This means that I can
occasionally have situations where page 11 is on the left, while page 13 is
on the right, with page twelve being hidden away somewhere.

Is there any way of convincing Word that it wants to be a little less
helpful and display these blank pages for me - aside from manually adding
additional page breaks? It would make formatting even vs odd pages correctly
just that much easier.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman

Hi Graham,

Congratulations on the giant monitor -- I wish I had such luck. :-)

You can't get Word to show you the "hidden" blank pages because they don't
exist until you send the document to the printer. They aren't just hidden,
they're not there.

You can force Word to make the pages without manual intervention, though.
See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...nPgEndChap.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Graham Barclay wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Barclay

Thanks Jay!

While this isn't the most elegant of solutions, I did manage to get this to
work. I've assigned the field to autotext and macroed it into one of my
toolbars. It still looks a might odd, however:

With the template I'm working with, in Print Preview page one appears alone
on the right, while two and three are on the next row of pages, and so on -
whereas Print Layout has page one and two on the same row.

Of course, that's still less confusing then having pages not appear on the
screen... that's the main thing.

Graham Barclay wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Barclay

Erk... upon further review, this isn't actually a perfect solution.

By inserting a page break into the document, rather then a section break
(Odd Page), the field creates a page that still contains the information in
the headers/footers. This means that while the pages are correctly organized
on the secreen, you'd have to go through and manually remove all instances of
the field before printing the document.