Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Joy Joy is offline

Default word to excel

I have a list of over 1000 addreses in a Word table. I would like to sort it
into alpha order by the first line of each address only.
I have tried pasting some of it into excel, but it transfers one line per
row, and I can't merge the cells as it tells me the selection contains
multiple data values.
I would be grateful for any advice?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Joy

Can you tell us exactly how your Word document is laid out?
Do all addresses have the same number of lines
And, what version of Word are you using?

Shauna

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Joy" wrote in message
I have a list of over 1000 addreses in a Word table. I would like to sort
it
into alpha order by the first line of each address only.
I have tried pasting some of it into excel, but it transfers one line per
row, and I can't merge the cells as it tells me the selection contains
multiple data values.
I would be grateful for any advice?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Joy Joy is offline

Just a two column table, column 1 is the id number and column 2 is the address.
Unfortunately, all addresses have different numbers of lines.
The actual document is on my pc at work, and we use Windows 2000, so I
assume it is Office 2000!

"Joy" wrote in message
I have a list of over 1000 addreses in a Word table. I would like to sort
it
into alpha order by the first line of each address only.
I have tried pasting some of it into excel, but it transfers one line per
row, and I can't merge the cells as it tells me the selection contains
multiple data values.
I would be grateful for any advice?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Joy

If the you want to sort by the first line in the address, and column 2 in
Word contains the address, then you can just use Word to do Table Sort and
tell it to sort by Column 2.

The actual document is on my pc at work, and we use Windows 2000, so I
assume it is Office 2000!

Not necessarily. At least 6 versions of Word that I can think of would run
on Windows 2000. But we can be reasonably sure it's not Word for the Mac, so
that helps us a bit in helping you.

Hope this helps.