Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jan Jan is offline

Default Remove Angle Brackets from Field Code Text

How do I prevent the angle brackets that enclose a field code from appearing
in my document? These brackets look like this: field code text

I'm using Word 2007.

Scenario:
I want the Document Title that is typed on the cover page to appear in the
footers. To achieve this, first I created a style named "Document Title."
Then, on the footer of the second page, I inserted a field code by clicking:
Insert Quick Parts Field Links and References StyleRef Document
Title. After typing the document title on the cover page, it appears in the
footer, but the angle brackets are still there. For example, if I type
"Training Manual" the cover using the "Document Title" style, this is what
appears in my footers: Training Manual Thank you in advance for your
assistance.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

On Feb 15, 12:06 pm, Jan wrote:
How do I prevent the angle brackets that enclose a field code from appearing
in my document? These brackets look like this: field code text

I'm using Word 2007.

Scenario:
I want the Document Title that is typed on the cover page to appear in the
footers. To achieve this, first I created a style named "Document Title."
Then, on the footer of the second page, I inserted a field code by clicking:
Insert Quick Parts Field Links and References StyleRef Document
Title. After typing the document title on the cover page, it appears in the
footer, but the angle brackets are still there. For example, if I type
"Training Manual" the cover using the "Document Title" style, this is what
appears in my footers: Training Manual Thank you in advance for your
assistance.

What happens if you simply go to the footer, press CTRL+F9 to enter a
pair of field braces, type TITLE inside the braces, right click the
field and select Update field then toggle field code?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jan Jan is offline

Thank you--That worked! I hate to come back with a follow-up question, but
here 'goes:

I was able to insert the field code as you instructed in this instance
because TITLE is a built-in field code in Word, and it's also a Document
Property. However, the document title is not the only field I want to appear
in the footers. I also want the Version number and Chapter Title to appear.

So I'm back to the original problem for the Version and Chapter Title fields.
Scenario for "Version" field: I want the Version number that is typed on the
cover page to appear in the footers. To achieve this, first I created a style
named "Version." Then, on the footer of the second page, I inserted a field
code by clicking: Insert Quick Parts Field Links and References
StyleRef Version. After typing the version number on the cover page, it
appears in the footer, but the angle brackets are still there. For example,
if I type "Version 3.2" the cover using the "Version" style, this is what
appears in my footers: Version 3.2 Same thing with Chapter Title.

Thank you again for your previous help, and thank you in advance for your
assistance on this issue.

"Greg Maxey" wrote:

On Feb 15, 12:06 pm, Jan wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Jan,

I can't recreate your problem here. What happens if you insert the field
braces and type in STYLEREF "Version" then toggle the field codes.

I always create my fields using this direct method and I can't explain why
you are seeing those angle brackets. It almost seems like they are
mergefield markers, but those are .

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:

Jan wrote:
Thank you--That worked! I hate to come back with a follow-up
question, but here 'goes:

I was able to insert the field code as you instructed in this instance
because TITLE is a built-in field code in Word, and it's also a
Document Property. However, the document title is not the only field
I want to appear in the footers. I also want the Version number and
Chapter Title to appear.

So I'm back to the original problem for the Version and Chapter Title
fields. Scenario for "Version" field: I want the Version number that
is typed on the cover page to appear in the footers. To achieve this,
first I created a style named "Version." Then, on the footer of the
second page, I inserted a field code by clicking: Insert Quick
Parts Field Links and References StyleRef Version. After
typing the version number on the cover page, it appears in the

"Greg Maxey" wrote:

On Feb 15, 12:06 pm, Jan wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jan Jan is offline

It successfully displayed the Version number, but the pair of single angle
brackets were still there.

HOWEVER, I did resolve the problem by removing the Content Control that I
had on the source text. I was using content controls as a guide for users of
the template, but now I know I can't use them for text that I'm merging in
field codes.

Thank you very much for all of your help!

"Greg Maxey" wrote:

On Feb 15, 12:06 pm, Jan wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jan Jan is offline

ADDENDUM: I can keep the content control, as long as I select the "Remove
content control when contents are edited" checkbox.

"Greg Maxey" wrote:

On Feb 15, 12:06 pm, Jan wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Ok. Good.

--

Jan wrote:
Thank you--That worked! I hate to come back with a follow-up
question, but here 'goes:

I was able to insert the field code as you instructed in this
instance because TITLE is a built-in field code in Word, and it's
also a Document Property. However, the document title is not the
only field I want to appear in the footers. I also want the
Version number and Chapter Title to appear.

So I'm back to the original problem for the Version and Chapter
Title fields. Scenario for "Version" field: I want the Version
number that is typed on the cover page to appear in the footers.
To achieve this, first I created a style named "Version." Then, on
the footer of the second page, I inserted a field code by
clicking: Insert Quick Parts Field Links and References
StyleRef Version. After typing the version number on the cover
page, it appears in the footer, but the angle brackets are still
there. For example, if I type "Version 3.2" the cover using the