SF

Default Normal Template

I'm using Word 2000. In my old software (WindowsME), I was able to right
click and open the Normal template and modify it (or even delete it and
start over).

But now I've upgraded to WindowsXP and I can't find the normal template
anywhere. Is it still possible to modify it the same way as before?

Anne Troy

Windows XP hides it.

See "show file extensions...."
http://www.officearticles.com/misc/f...oft_office.htm
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"SF" nospam@@@nospam wrote in message
I'm using Word 2000. In my old software (WindowsME), I was able to right
click and open the Normal template and modify it (or even delete it and
start over).

But now I've upgraded to WindowsXP and I can't find the normal template
anywhere. Is it still possible to modify it the same way as before?

SF

Okay. I followed the directions and set the option to show hidden files, and
to not hide known extensions.
Then I did a search for Normal.dot.
It still didn't find anything.

Slippery little rascal.

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
news:271d3$42d835b4$97c5108d$17455@allthenewsgroup s.com...
Windows XP hides it.

See "show file extensions...."
http://www.officearticles.com/misc/f...oft_office.htm
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"SF" nospam@@@nospam wrote in message
I'm using Word 2000. In my old software (WindowsME), I was able to right
click and open the Normal template and modify it (or even delete it and
start over).

But now I've upgraded to WindowsXP and I can't find the normal template
anywhere. Is it still possible to modify it the same way as before?

Anne Troy

LOL. Are you connected to a network? Did you open Word and go to
Tools--Options, File locations, and look in the template folder indicated
there?
*******************

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
news:271d3$42d835b4$97c5108d$17455@allthenewsgroup s.com...
Windows XP hides it.

See "show file extensions...."

http://www.officearticles.com/misc/f...oft_office.htm
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"SF" nospam@@@nospam wrote in message
I'm using Word 2000. In my old software (WindowsME), I was able to

right
click and open the Normal template and modify it (or even delete it and
start over).

But now I've upgraded to WindowsXP and I can't find the normal template
anywhere. Is it still possible to modify it the same way as before?

SF

No, not connected to anything.
Stand alone desktop home computer.

Okay, I looked in the file locations and it said:

C:\...\Microsoft\Templates

Then I did a search in Explorer for "Templates" and none of the results
showed a "Templates" folder inside a "Microsoft" folder.
(Honest, I'm not trying to be difficult here. I just want to find the Normal
Template.)

news:b8c85$42d84517$97c5108d$20185@allthenewsgroup s.com...

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
news:271d3$42d835b4$97c5108d$17455@allthenewsgroup s.com...
Windows XP hides it.

See "show file extensions...."

http://www.officearticles.com/misc/f...oft_office.htm
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"SF" nospam@@@nospam wrote in message
I'm using Word 2000. In my old software (WindowsME), I was able to

right
click and open the Normal template and modify it (or even delete it
and
start over).

But now I've upgraded to WindowsXP and I can't find the normal
template
anywhere. Is it still possible to modify it the same way as before?

Anne Troy

LOL. No problem! I believe you. But don't try to search. GO TO THE FOLDER.
In other words, open My Computer, double-click documents and settings, then
your name, or wherever they are...and keep double-clicking until you are in
the Templates folder. If you ever successfully launched Word on this PC, the
normald.dot is there. If you never ran Word, then you need to do that and
(used to be anyway) save at least one file. Then close Word. That should
ensure that normal.dot is created.

(I'm sorry, I don't have a typical install---I run 4 versions of Office
here).
*******************

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
news:271d3$42d835b4$97c5108d$17455@allthenewsgroup s.com...
Windows XP hides it.

See "show file extensions...."

http://www.officearticles.com/misc/f...oft_office.htm
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"SF" nospam@@@nospam wrote in message
I'm using Word 2000. In my old software (WindowsME), I was able to

right
click and open the Normal template and modify it (or even delete it
and
start over).

But now I've upgraded to WindowsXP and I can't find the normal
template
anywhere. Is it still possible to modify it the same way as before?

Graham Mayor

In a standard installation, the full path will be:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

You can view the full path in tools options file locations, if you
select User Templates and click 'modify'. Select the down arrow next to the
'look in' box to see the full path.

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
news:271d3$42d835b4$97c5108d$17455@allthenewsgroup s.com...
Windows XP hides it.

See "show file extensions...."

http://www.officearticles.com/misc/f...oft_office.htm
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"SF" nospam@@@nospam wrote in message
I'm using Word 2000. In my old software (WindowsME), I was able
to right click and open the Normal template and modify it (or
even delete it and
start over).

But now I've upgraded to WindowsXP and I can't find the normal
template
anywhere. Is it still possible to modify it the same way as
before?

SF

FOUND IT!!

Thank you all, very much.

(Sorry, I was out all day yesterday. Couldn't reply.)

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Go to Tools | File Locations. The path given for User Templates will be
the
folder where Normal.dot is stored. You need to display Hidden Files and
Folders to see it.

so
all may benefit.

Normal template lindsays Mailmerge 1 May 3rd 05 11:40 PM
Normal Template seems to be deleted after every session of Word. Stevie Dee Microsoft Word Help 2 March 26th 05 09:13 PM
can I change the normal (global) template so word always opens wi. queenjude Microsoft Word Help 2 March 22nd 05 07:27 PM
How do I get left rulers back after normal template has been corr. japk Page Layout 1 February 10th 05 04:54 PM
New word doc from custom template still attatched to normal: why? egrigg9000 Microsoft Word Help 2 December 21st 04 11:14 PM