Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave

Default Spell Checker problem - Text Selected for checking

Occasionally the spell checker tells me it has finished checking except for
(don't have the exact language here - hangs head in shame) text and grammar
which has been selected NOT to be checked. (I didn't select anything not to
be checked.)

I have fooled around with the Tools/Options/Spelling & Grammar and
Tools/Language with inconsistent results (which is why I can't cause the
error message as I write this.)

Am wondering if has something to do with my Normal.dot

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave
MS Office Basic Edition/Word 2003 SP2

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I think that may be a standard message when you run the spelling checker
explicitly. If you want to make sure that all the text is checked, Ctrl+A to
select the entire document, go to Tools | Language | Set Language, and make
sure that the correct language is selected and that "Do not check spelling
or grammar" is not checked. That said, certain styles may be intentionally
formatted as "no proofing"; for example, if you are using Plain Text style
for VBA code (or any other kind of programming language), you don't want it
spell-checked.

"Dave" wrote in message
Occasionally the spell checker tells me it has finished checking except

for
(don't have the exact language here - hangs head in shame) text and

grammar
which has been selected NOT to be checked. (I didn't select anything not

be checked.)

I have fooled around with the Tools/Options/Spelling & Grammar and
Tools/Language with inconsistent results (which is why I can't cause the
error message as I write this.)

Am wondering if has something to do with my Normal.dot

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave
MS Office Basic Edition/Word 2003 SP2

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave

Thank you Suzanne -

I have done the Ctrl A and Language things, but I thought the results were
still inconsistent. I have been noticing, however, that when you get the
'except' message, and if there are no longer any errors in what it did
check, if you recheck spelling the 'except' message may not reappear. I
haven't really established this for sure yet, but I have noticed it on
several occasions.

Whatever - and as I told the ambulance paramedic the other day - "Thank you
for being there." :-)

Dave

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I think that may be a standard message when you run the spelling checker
explicitly. If you want to make sure that all the text is checked, Ctrl+A
select the entire document, go to Tools | Language | Set Language, and
make
sure that the correct language is selected and that "Do not check spelling
or grammar" is not checked. That said, certain styles may be intentionally
formatted as "no proofing"; for example, if you are using Plain Text style
for VBA code (or any other kind of programming language), you don't want
it
spell-checked.

so
all may benefit.

"Dave" wrote in message
Occasionally the spell checker tells me it has finished checking except

for
(don't have the exact language here - hangs head in shame) text and

grammar
which has been selected NOT to be checked. (I didn't select anything not

be checked.)

I have fooled around with the Tools/Options/Spelling & Grammar and
Tools/Language with inconsistent results (which is why I can't cause the
error message as I write this.)

Am wondering if has something to do with my Normal.dot

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave
MS Office Basic Edition/Word 2003 SP2

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I'm really pretty vague on this because I never run the spelling checker
explicitly. I'm a naturally good speller (though a poor typist) and a
crackerjack proofreader (though it's always difficult to proof one's own
work), so "Check spelling as you type" suffices for me. You might, however,
get a more authoritative answer in the
microsoft.public.word.spelling.grammar newsgroup.

"Dave" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Dave" wrote in message
Occasionally the spell checker tells me it has finished checking except

for
(don't have the exact language here - hangs head in shame) text and

grammar
which has been selected NOT to be checked. (I didn't select anything

not
be checked.)

I have fooled around with the Tools/Options/Spelling & Grammar and
Tools/Language with inconsistent results (which is why I can't cause

the
error message as I write this.)

Am wondering if has something to do with my Normal.dot

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dave
MS Office Basic Edition/Word 2003 SP2

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave

I'll have to give the 'spell check as you type' thing a workout, I have
never really tried it.. Like you, I am a good speller, but a lousy typist.
This latter characteristics leads to many, and I mean many, typos. The SC
does well but, there's a limit. Interestingly, my wife is an English/comp
teacher, and is awesome as a proof reader. NOTHING gets by her. But I hate
to have her looking over my shoulder while I'm hacking away - very
intimidating.

If things don't improve, I'll give the 'spelling.grammar newsgroup' a try.
The very fact that it exists says something. (Misery loves company, etc.)

Thx again