Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default minimum monitor size

What is the minimum LCD monitor size I would need in order to display a
whole A4 page in portrait at real life size using Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Depends on your resolution.

I'd suggest you get a 36" flat panel LCD screen to be on the safe side.
;-)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

wrote in message
oups.com...
What is the minimum LCD monitor size I would need in order to display a
whole A4 page in portrait at real life size using Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
PopS

Well, A4 is what; 8 x 11 1/2" or somethign like that" 4:3 says
16:12, or 20 inches to see the whole page at !00%, right? Width
ignored since hwight is the limiting issue, and screens are
measured diagonally. So, 20" of visible screen would probably
require what, a 21" or greater screen. I think.

Pop--
--
Going Shopping? See The
North Country's (not so) Secret Shopper

..
wrote in message
oups.com...
: What is the minimum LCD monitor size I would need in order to
display a
: whole A4 page in portrait at real life size using Word?
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

If you have a monitor that can be rotated to portrait mode you can get away
with a much smaller monitor to achieve this, but frankly the 65% that a 19"
monitor manages does not cause me any problems with editing.

wrote:
What is the minimum LCD monitor size I would need in order to display
a whole A4 page in portrait at real life size using Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The diagonal distance for an A4 sheet is about 14". However I am unsure
about:

1. What the height to width ratio of an LCD monitor would be

2. What additional area would be needed at the margins of the A4
sheet to accomodate Word toolbars etc.

3. Whether there is anything about the physical characteristics of an
LCD which might affect the calculation

I suppose the answer would be if someone who actually has one could try
it. Anyone other there with a 19" LCD monitor who uses Word?

PopS wrote:
Well, A4 is what; 8 x 11 1/2" or somethign like that" 4:3 says
16:12, or 20 inches to see the whole page at !00%, right? Width
ignored since hwight is the limiting issue, and screens are
measured diagonally. So, 20" of visible screen would probably
require what, a 21" or greater screen. I think.

Pop--
--
Going Shopping? See The
North Country's (not so) Secret Shopper
at www.twaynesdomain.com

.
wrote in message
oups.com...
: What is the minimum LCD monitor size I would need in order to
display a
: whole A4 page in portrait at real life size using Word?
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Are you saying that on a 19" monitor the A4 page would appear at only
65% of real size?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Having thought about it further, I understand what you are saying now.
I think you are saying that a 19" monitor which is physically in the
landscape position (i.e. width longer than height) would display an A4
sheet in portrait at 65%.

What I am seeking to establish is what is the minimum size of LCD
monitor which, when physically turned to be in the portrait position,
will display at 100% an A4 page (also in portrait) using Word.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
PopS

Good point; good catch. For the OP:

Most monitors, and the only LCD I have available, are in the same
ratio as a TV, which is 3:4:5, w, H, Diagonal resp.
The formula for the screen size is
a^2 + b^2 = c^2 (a squared + b squared = c squared-[diagonal]).

For a 3, 4 the diagonal would be 3^2 + 4^2 = 9 + 16 = 25, and
sq root 25 is 5: therfore, the diagonal for 3, 4 is 5. And so
on.
If b is the height, then a = sq root (c^2 - a^2). I just
measured some A4 paper at: 8 x 11 3/4.
It's still in the packaging so I'm positive it's A4.
I thought it was 11 1/2, but I guess I stand corrected.
So, you can work from there. And, be sure that the VISIBLE
diagonal measurement matches the height you need, not the picture
tube size: You lose a lot of viewing area on some monitors, not
so much on others.

Pop

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
: If you have a monitor that can be rotated to portrait mode you
can get away
: with a much smaller monitor to achieve this, but frankly the
65% that a 19"
: monitor manages does not cause me any problems with editing.
:
: --
:
: Graham Mayor - Word MVP
:
: My web site www.gmayor.com
: Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
:
:
: wrote:
: What is the minimum LCD monitor size I would need in order to
display
: a whole A4 page in portrait at real life size using Word?
:
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

Yes - if you want to display the full page. The height of an 19" monitor is
about the same as a sheet of A4, but that makes no allowances for the
application borders and the toolbars.

wrote:
Are you saying that on a 19" monitor the A4 page would appear at only
65% of real size?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

It's actually a little bigger than 65%. The discrepancy comes because at the
resolution of the (my) monitor, A4 is correctly represented at 90% whereas
full page is actually 69% - you can do the maths

In Portrait mode, I would suspect that you would need a 17" monitor to get
in the toolbars etc.

wrote:
Having thought about it further, I understand what you are saying now.
I think you are saying that a 19" monitor which is physically in the
landscape position (i.e. width longer than height) would display an A4
sheet in portrait at 65%.

What I am seeking to establish is what is the minimum size of LCD
monitor which, when physically turned to be in the portrait position,
will display at 100% an A4 page (also in portrait) using Word.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
PopS

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
: "Picture tube" is, if not entirely irrelevant, at least not
accurate
: terminology for an LCD screen, which is what the OP asked
about.

lol, technical strike, eh? Agreed, but --- as I said, I measured
my LCD on my laptop as a 3:4:5 ratio so it's the same as a
"picture tube". We could have a whoe discussion about it, but
.... it's the point that matters, not the terminology, esp when
you want the masses to understand the most. MO anyway.
:
: --
: Suzanne S. Barnhill
: Microsoft MVP (Word)
: Words into Type
: Fairhope, Alabama USA
: Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
: Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the
newsgroup so
: all may benefit.
:
: "PopS" wrote in message
: ...
[...]
: :
: : --
: :
: : Graham Mayor - Word MVP
: :
: : wrote:
: : What is the minimum LCD monitor size I would need in
order to
: display
: : a whole A4 page in portrait at real life size using Word?
: :
: :
:
:
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tony Jollans

Some LCD displays are 4:3, some are 5:4 ratio I believe. Simple maths ...

At 4:3, to accommodate A4 would need a viewing area with a diagonal of 19.5
inches; at 5:4 it would need a mere 18.7 inches. I'm not sure how the
viewing area of an LCD relates to nominal size but I guess you'ld be close
with a 21" monitor

This does assume, of course, that you are using Word's full screen mode, and
your taskbar (or any other window) is not at top or bottom - which is, of
course, given if you're looking for the minimum size required.

It also, I think, assumes that you run your monitor at a screen resolution
which matches the monitor ratio (for example 1280*1024 on a 4:3 ratio
monitor elongates the image slightly.

If you want to also accommodate toolbars you must say which and where and
what size before anyone can have a chance. I think you should find a good
dealer who will let you look at real life examples.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

oups.com...

PopS wrote:
Well, A4 is what; 8 x 11 1/2" or somethign like that" 4:3 says
16:12, or 20 inches to see the whole page at !00%, right? Width
ignored since hwight is the limiting issue, and screens are
measured diagonally. So, 20" of visible screen would probably
require what, a 21" or greater screen. I think.

Pop--
--
Going Shopping? See The
North Country's (not so) Secret Shopper
at www.twaynesdomain.com

.
wrote in message
oups.com...
: What is the minimum LCD monitor size I would need in order to
display a
: whole A4 page in portrait at real life size using Word?
:

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"At 4:3, to accommodate A4 would need a viewing area with a diagonal of
19.5"

A 4:3 rectange with diagonal of 19.5" would be 11.7" by 15.5". An A4
sheet is about 8.5" by 11.5".

Why would you need a screen that large if, as you say, you are using
full screen mode? Is it something to do with the resolution?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tony Jollans

Your approximation of A4 (11.69") at 11.5" is slightly rougher than mine at
11.7" which just happens to be the size you have calculated from my
diagonal. Of course, it's different if you have a rotatable screen.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

wrote in message
oups.com...
"At 4:3, to accommodate A4 would need a viewing area with a diagonal of
19.5"

A 4:3 rectange with diagonal of 19.5" would be 11.7" by 15.5". An A4
sheet is about 8.5" by 11.5".

Why would you need a screen that large if, as you say, you are using
full screen mode? Is it something to do with the resolution?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

To view it in Portrait mode. Of course, if it is the type of monitor that
you can rotate, you should be able to get by with a monitor that is about
1/2^0.5 smaller than that.

I wouldn't be bothering with the diagonal measure of the monitor, just
measure the height and width

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.