Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
W. Watson

Default Filling a Group?

Is it possible to form a triangle with three lines as a group and then fill
it with some color? Doesn't seem to work for me.

"When you think about it, electricity is
really just organized lightning." -- George Carlin

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Anne Troy

No. Word isn't a graphics program, and even some of those won't do this for
you.
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"W. Watson" wrote in message
ink.net...
Is it possible to form a triangle with three lines as a group and then
fill it with some color? Doesn't seem to work for me.

"When you think about it, electricity is
really just organized lightning." -- George Carlin

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Although you can't do this with lines created with the Line tool, you can do
it using the Freeform AutoShape:

1. On the Drawing toolbar, choose AutoShapes | Lines | Freeform. Click to
begin a line, drag, and click to end it, then drag to create the second side
of the triangle, click to end it, drag to create the third side, ending
where you began, and double-click to complete the triangle.

2. If the result displays as a filled AutoShape, you've achieved your
purpose.

3. If not, right-click, choose Edit Points, and drag the last point on top
of the first one. Then right-click and choose Close Path. You will then be
able to fill the shape. (Tip: You can actually draw just two sides of the
triangle, then use Close Path to create the third.)

4. If it's not quite the shape you want, use Edit Points to drag any vertex
as desired. You can also change straight segments to curved and drag them to
any shape you like, and you can add points for a more complex curve (and of
course you can use the Curve tool to create curves to begin with).

FWIW, this is a much more powerful and flexible drawing tool than Scribble
IMO.

"W. Watson" wrote in message
ink.net...
Is it possible to form a triangle with three lines as a group and then

fill
it with some color? Doesn't seem to work for me.

"When you think about it, electricity is
really just organized lightning." -- George Carlin

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
W. Watson

Anne Troy wrote:

No. Word isn't a graphics program, and even some of those won't do this for
you.
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"W. Watson" wrote in message
ink.net...

Is it possible to form a triangle with three lines as a group and then
fill it with some color? Doesn't seem to work for me.

Perhaps in the next version.

"When you think about it, electricity is
really just organized lightning." -- George Carlin

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
W. Watson

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

[...]

It's probably too labor intensive for my purposes. I thought there might be
some hope when it seemed as though I accidentally did this. Upon futher
examination I didn't. However, I made an interesting discovery--I think. I
welded as a group two havlves of a long ellipse, and filled the result. Upon
closer inspection, it looks like the two halves were really one ellipse.
Interestingly, I was able to use a dashed line on the upper half and a solid
line on the bottom. It seems a little odd to me.

BTW, you can get some idea of what I'm trying to do by looking at
http://www.tpub.com/content/engineering/14071/css/14071_342.htm. I colored
the middle ellipse green, since it represents the ground. I then tried
coloring in the area from the zenith down to the upper edge of the ground as
light blue--the sky. Tricky to do, at least for me.

"When you think about it, electricity is
really just organized lightning." -- George Carlin

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

BTW, you can get some idea of what I'm trying to do by looking at
http://www.tpub.com/content/engineering/14071/css/14071_342.htm. I

colored
the middle ellipse green, since it represents the ground. I then tried
coloring in the area from the zenith down to the upper edge of the ground

as
light blue--the sky. Tricky to do, at least for me.

That's all very well, but I don't understand how it relates to the question
about a triangle. Needless to say, you can create a triangle AutoShape
simply enough, but I don't see what is at all labor-intensive about drawing
two or three lines and filling them.

"W. Watson" wrote in message
ink.net...
Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Display the Drawing toolbar and select Basic Shapes from the Autoshapes
item. Insert the triangle that you want, then from the Format menu, select
Borders and Shading and select the colour that you want for the Fill.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"W. Watson" wrote in message
ink.net...
Is it possible to form a triangle with three lines as a group and then
fill it with some color? Doesn't seem to work for me.

"When you think about it, electricity is
really just organized lightning." -- George Carlin

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
W. Watson

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

BTW, you can get some idea of what I'm trying to do by looking at
http://www.tpub.com/content/engineering/14071/css/14071_342.htm. I

colored

the middle ellipse green, since it represents the ground. I then tried
coloring in the area from the zenith down to the upper edge of the ground

as

light blue--the sky. Tricky to do, at least for me.

That's all very well, but I don't understand how it relates to the question
about a triangle. Needless to say, you can create a triangle AutoShape
simply enough, but I don't see what is at all labor-intensive about drawing
two or three lines and filling them.

I used the triangle as an example. The real problem is much more complex,
but simply boils down to the example. It's item 4 that gets to the
difficulty--I'm not dealing with a triangle, but much more complex figures,
and several of them. Creating curves to the shape I desire would be a
formidable task.

"When you think about it, electricity is
really just organized lightning." -- George Carlin

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Use something like TurboCAD. Word is basically a word processing program
with some (limited) graphics capability.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP