Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

Default Simple bookmarks?

Is there any way to make bookmarks simple to use?

My idea of "simple" is based on code editors. Most code editors
provide a function key (usually F2) to manage bookmarks. My editor
(UltraEdit) works like this:

1. Ctrl+F2 toggles a bookmark for the current line. If a line has a
bookmark set, a blue indicator appears in the left margin.

2. F2 jumps to the next bookmark.

3. Alt+F2 jumps to the previous bookmark.

4. Shift+F2 extends the selection to the next bookmark.

5. Alt+Shift+F2 extends the selection to the previous bookmark.

It has a lot of other functionality, but just these simple functions
allow me to keep track fo what I am doing in a document.

Can I make Word 2007 behave like this?

I know Word has named bookmarks. That's great, but most of the time I
don't need to name each one. I just want a generic bookmark that I can
set (toggle) and locate with one shortcut.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Reitanos Reitanos is offline

You should probably make this kind of suggestion to the developers at
Microsoft rather than this newsgroup; the function here is more Q&A
than developmental.

On Mar 3, 11:55*am, Sesquipedalian Sam
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 11:01:34 -0800 (PST), Reitanos
wrote:

You should probably make this kind of suggestion to the developers at
Microsoft rather than this newsgroup; the function here is more Q&A
than developmental.

It wasn't a developmental suggestion. It was a question: Can I make
Word operate this way? Do you know the answer?

wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Sam,

With a few exceptions, most of us here really are trying to help when we
post answers to questions or make suggestions. Being flamesprayed for our
efforts .... well it just doesn't help.

I don't really no what you can or can not do as I don't know how smart you
are, how much effort you are willing to expend or how deep your pockets are.
With the right combination of the three you could probably acheive most if
not all of your goals with a VBA Addin or a by writing a custom application
solution with something like Visbual Studio. My idea of simple is different
than yours and to make bookmarks easier for me to use I created the
following AddIns.

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Bookmark_Tool.htm

http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Mini_Bookmark_Tool.htm

You are welcome to use them as they are or adapt them to suit your specific
needs.

--
Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 15:21:53 -0500, "Greg Maxey"
wrote:

Sam,

With a few exceptions, most of us here really are trying to help when we
post answers to questions or make suggestions. Being flamesprayed for our
efforts .... well it just doesn't help.

Flamesprayed? Where? When?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

It wasn't a developmental suggestion. It was a question: Can I make Word
operate this way? Do you know the answer?

Could be interpreted as flame in the form of spray ;-)

--

Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

wrote:

Sam,

With a few exceptions, most of us here really are trying to help when we
post answers to questions or make suggestions. Being flamesprayed for our
efforts .... well it just doesn't help.

Flamesprayed? Where? When?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

And was your crabby contribution four days later really even necessary?

Sam's reply, "It wasn't a developmental suggestion. It was a question: Can I
make
Word operate this way? Do you know the answer?" seemed to me to be a little
short and dismissive. Like "Look, I wasn't asking for a suggestion. I was
asking a question. If don't know the answer then leave it to someone that
does."

In view Sam's reply I can certainly see now (no a full four days ago) that
that he didn't mean it that way. I suppose it comes as a surprise that I
came to that realization without your help and before your snippy comment.