Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

Default Can I assign a function key to toggle the Track Changes setting?

I was able to assign a function key to the TrackChangesOptions
command, but I couldn't find a TrackChanges or ToggleTrackChanges
command. Is there such a command?

I know I can create a macro to do it. Is there a simpler way?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 11:24:03 -0800, Sesquipedalian Sam
wrote:

I was able to assign a function key to the TrackChangesOptions
command, but I couldn't find a TrackChanges or ToggleTrackChanges
command. Is there such a command?

I know I can create a macro to do it. Is there a simpler way?

I discovered a 3-key shortcut: Alt-R,G,G. This method will work for
any command on the ribbon.

I'd still prefer Alt-t, but this is workable.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

wrote:

I was able to assign a function key to the TrackChangesOptions
command, but I couldn't find a TrackChanges or ToggleTrackChanges
command. Is there such a command?

I know I can create a macro to do it. Is there a simpler way?

I discovered a 3-key shortcut: Alt-R,G,G. This method will work for
any command on the ribbon.

I'd still prefer Alt-t, but this is workable.

The command name (a holdover from previous versions) is
ToolsRevisionMarksToggle. The default keyboard shortcut is Ctrl+Shift+E.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

wrote:

I was able to assign a function key to the TrackChangesOptions
command, but I couldn't find a TrackChanges or ToggleTrackChanges
command. Is there such a command?

I know I can create a macro to do it. Is there a simpler way?

I discovered a 3-key shortcut: Alt-R,G,G. This method will work for
any command on the ribbon.

I'd still prefer Alt-t, but this is workable.

The command name (a holdover from previous versions) is
ToolsRevisionMarksToggle. The default keyboard shortcut is Ctrl+Shift+E.

Found it, thanks. On my system, ToolsRevisionMarksToggle is not
assigned a shortcut and Ctrl+Shift+E is unassigned.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If not, then someone must have previously removed the assignment.
Ctrl+Shift+E is the "factory" default for toggling tracking on/off.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

wrote:

I was able to assign a function key to the TrackChangesOptions
command, but I couldn't find a TrackChanges or ToggleTrackChanges
command. Is there such a command?

I know I can create a macro to do it. Is there a simpler way?

I discovered a 3-key shortcut: Alt-R,G,G. This method will work for
any command on the ribbon.

I'd still prefer Alt-t, but this is workable.

The command name (a holdover from previous versions) is
ToolsRevisionMarksToggle. The default keyboard shortcut is Ctrl+Shift+E.

Found it, thanks. On my system, ToolsRevisionMarksToggle is not
assigned a shortcut and Ctrl+Shift+E is unassigned.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

wrote:

I was able to assign a function key to the TrackChangesOptions
command, but I couldn't find a TrackChanges or ToggleTrackChanges
command. Is there such a command?

I know I can create a macro to do it. Is there a simpler way?

I discovered a 3-key shortcut: Alt-R,G,G. This method will work for
any command on the ribbon.

I'd still prefer Alt-t, but this is workable.

The command name (a holdover from previous versions) is
ToolsRevisionMarksToggle. The default keyboard shortcut is Ctrl+Shift+E.

Do you know what the conmand is to add a comment (New Comment icon on
Comments section of review tab)?

I found InsertInkComment and assigned it to Alt-c, but that didn't
work.

Is there a way to find out the command name for any ribbon icon (such
as having it displayed in the hover pop-up or the right-click list)?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

wrote:

I was able to assign a function key to the TrackChangesOptions
command, but I couldn't find a TrackChanges or ToggleTrackChanges
command. Is there such a command?

I know I can create a macro to do it. Is there a simpler way?

I discovered a 3-key shortcut: Alt-R,G,G. This method will work for
any command on the ribbon.

I'd still prefer Alt-t, but this is workable.

The command name (a holdover from previous versions) is
ToolsRevisionMarksToggle. The default keyboard shortcut is Ctrl+Shift+E.

Do you know what the conmand is to add a comment (New Comment icon on
Comments section of review tab)?

I found InsertInkComment and assigned it to Alt-c, but that didn't
work.

Is there a way to find out the command name for any ribbon icon (such
as having it displayed in the hover pop-up or the right-click list)?

Yes, there is a way to discover command names and immediately find or create a
keyboard shortcut for it.

Press Ctrl+Alt+number pad plus sign. The cursor will change into a four-leaf
clover shape. Then click on any ribbon button or press any keyboard shortcut.
The Customize Keyboard dialog will open with that specific command displayed and
ready to accept a new shortcut.

In this case, clicking the New Comment button reveals that its command is
InsertAnnotation, which has the default shortcut Ctrl+Alt+M.

Browsing in the All Commands category in the Customize Keyboard dialog also
turns up the InsertNewComment command, which apparently does the same thing as
InsertAnnotation. But this one isn't in the Review category, only in All
Commands.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 19:52:22 -0500, Jay Freedman
wrote:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 12:41:02 -0800, Sesquipedalian Sam
wrote:

....snip...

[...]

Wow!!!!! That has to be one of the most valuable posts ever, at least
to me.

Thank you very, very much.

Please let me buy you a virtual beer.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

wrote:

Is there a way to find out the command name for any ribbon icon (such
as having it displayed in the hover pop-up or the right-click list)?

Yes, there is a way to discover command names and immediately find or create a
keyboard shortcut for it.

Press Ctrl+Alt+number pad plus sign. The cursor will change into a four-leaf
clover shape. Then click on any ribbon button or press any keyboard shortcut.
The Customize Keyboard dialog will open with that specific command displayed and
ready to accept a new shortcut.

Jay,

I've been using this tool for a week now. This is absolutely the most
useful tip I have encountered in years. I want to nominate you for MVP
of the Year. Where do I send my vote.

I am curious as to why this is such a secret? I check the Help and
couldn't find it anywhere. I even completed the Customizing Keyboard
Shortcuts tutorial:

http://office.microsoft.com/training...RP060786151033

Never mentioned. What is wrong with Microsoft? There are so many cool
features buried in Word (and other office products, Excel is even more
cryptic).

Another one that mystifies me is Alt-Shift-up/down arrow. It will move
a paragraph up or down in a document. I probably use that one a
hundred times every day. It has a few problems around tables, but it
is one of the most useful tools for editing. I have never found it
documented anywhere.

Anyway, thanks a million for an amazing tool.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Greg Maxey[_2_] Greg Maxey[_2_] is offline

Sam,

Yes, Jay is certainly a first class MVP.

You may have never seen this list: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290938
It contains a fairly comprehensive listing of keyboard shortcuts for Word.
While niether jumped out at me, both the one Jay provided and your example
are listed.

Break,

Regarding Simpilfy Bookmakrs. I don't know Reitanos, but I do believe
that he/she was just trying to help even if the post wasn't very helpful. I
did not intend to flame you, perhaps "flamespray" was too strong a term, and
I appologize if my remarks offended you.

wrote:

[...]

Greg Maxey - Word MVP

My web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

That list is especially handy because it's in strict alphabetical order. For
a list categorized by function, see the Help topic "Keyboard shortcuts" in
Word 2003. Alas! in Word 2007, the first search result if you search for
"keyboard shortcuts" is an online tutorial. sigh But if you skip down a
couple to the topic "Keyboard shortcuts for Microsoft Office Word," you get
an article comparable to the one in Word 2003.

For years I saved (and perhaps still have around somewhere) an especially
useful listing from Tech-Tav. I believe it listed the commands in
alphabetical order, but it also listed the shortcuts in alphabetical order,
beginning with Ctrl+A, Ctrl+B, etc., and moving down through the function
keys. This listing used to be at
http://www.tech-tav.com/NL3.htm#WordShortcuts but unfortunately is no longer
available (not even through the Wayback Machine).

I also keep in plain view a Function Key Shortcuts reference in the form of
a table that lists each F key alone, with Shift, with Ctrl, Ctrl+Shift, Alt,
etc. There's a similar table at
http://www.ddmcomputing.com/word/keys/word_fkeys.htm

http://word.mvps.org

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Sesquipedalian Sam Sesquipedalian Sam is offline

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 10:27:29 -0400, "Greg Maxey"
wrote:

Sam,

Yes, Jay is certainly a first class MVP.

You may have never seen this list: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290938
It contains a fairly comprehensive listing of keyboard shortcuts for Word.
While niether jumped out at me, both the one Jay provided and your example
are listed.

That's a very good resource. Thanks.

Break,

Regarding Simpilfy Bookmakrs. I don't know Reitanos, but I do believe
that he/she was just trying to help even if the post wasn't very helpful.

The post was value free.

did not intend to flame you, perhaps "flamespray" was too strong a term, and
I appologize if my remarks offended you.

Forget it.