Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Square Peg Square Peg is offline

Default Is there no PasteSpecialAsUnformattedText command?

I do a lot of cut-and-paste from other applications such as IE and
Excel. Most of the time, I want to do a Paste Special and select the
Paste as Unformatted Text option.

I would like to assign this to a keyboard shortcut. I was unable to
find a command for this operation. Does one exist?

If not, is the next best option to write a little macro and assign
that to the shortcut?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

See if this helps:

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/p...cle.asp?ID=128

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Square Peg" wrote in message
I do a lot of cut-and-paste from other applications such as IE and
Excel. Most of the time, I want to do a Paste Special and select the
Paste as Unformatted Text option.

I would like to assign this to a keyboard shortcut. I was unable to
find a command for this operation. Does one exist?

If not, is the next best option to write a little macro and assign
that to the shortcut?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Three Lefts Three Lefts is offline

On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 23:30:52 -0400, "Herb Tyson [MVP]"
wrote:

See if this helps:

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/p...cle.asp?ID=128

Thanks for that link. I did essentially what you outlined, but I was
looking for a command that started with "Paste...", like
"PasteSpecialUnformatted". I found "PasteFormat", so didn't think to
look elsewhere. And, I'm using 2007 so Paste Spedcial is not under the
Edit tab.

Also, on my system, EditPasteSpecial is already assigned to
Alt-Ctrl-V. If that's standard in 2007, you might want to change your
tutorial to suggest that, rather than Alt-Shift-V. Alt-Ctrl-V also
makes more sense to me since it's a version of Ctrl-V, the regular
paste function.

Thanks

PS: The short answer to my question would have been, "Try
EditPasteSpecial". ;-)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

wrote:

See if this helps:

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/p...cle.asp?ID=128

Maybe you can assist with this secondary pasting problem.

I frequently paste data from Excel into Word tables. The font and
other formatting in Excel is different from that in Word. Is there a
way to get a range of cells (say a 3 x 4 block) from Excel into a 3 x
4 table in Word and acquire the formatting in the target cells?

Let's say Column 1 is Bold, Centered, Column 2 is Italic and
right-justified, etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mecalith Mecalith is offline

Using Word 2007 on Windows Vista Home Premium

When you want to paste a lot of unformatted texts from IE set the default
paste to text only.

Click: the Paste Options icon (at the end of the pasted text)
Select: Set Default Paste€¦
Select: Pasting from other programs: [Keep Text Only]

(Office Button Word Options Advanced Cut, copy, and paste)

"Square Peg" wrote:

I do a lot of cut-and-paste from other applications such as IE and
Excel. Most of the time, I want to do a Paste Special and select the
Paste as Unformatted Text option.

I would like to assign this to a keyboard shortcut. I was unable to
find a command for this operation. Does one exist?

If not, is the next best option to write a little macro and assign
that to the shortcut?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
KristinQ KristinQ is offline

THANK YOU Mecalith!!! I have been struggling with this for almost a year.
In old versions of Word I had customized the "Ctrl+V" shortcut to
"PasteUnformattedText" and have been looking for a similar solution ever
since I loaded Word 2007.

You win a gold star for a solution that doesn't require mouse-clicking on
anything just to paste some unformatted text. Thanks!!

"Square Peg" wrote:

I do a lot of cut-and-paste from other applications such as IE and
Excel. Most of the time, I want to do a Paste Special and select the
Paste as Unformatted Text option.

I would like to assign this to a keyboard shortcut. I was unable to
find a command for this operation. Does one exist?

If not, is the next best option to write a little macro and assign
that to the shortcut?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
KristinQ KristinQ is offline

That is a nice article, but it appears to be written for users of Word 2003.
There's no mention of the ribbon and the instructions are written in the old
"File/Edit" format, which no longer exists for Word 2007.

"Square Peg" wrote in message
I do a lot of cut-and-paste from other applications such as IE and
Excel. Most of the time, I want to do a Paste Special and select the
Paste as Unformatted Text option.

I would like to assign this to a keyboard shortcut. I was unable to
find a command for this operation. Does one exist?

If not, is the next best option to write a little macro and assign
that to the shortcut?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Three Lefts Three Lefts is offline

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 13:42:01 -0700, KristinQ
wrote:

THANK YOU Mecalith!!! I have been struggling with this for almost a year.
In old versions of Word I had customized the "Ctrl+V" shortcut to
"PasteUnformattedText" and have been looking for a similar solution ever
since I loaded Word 2007.

You win a gold star for a solution that doesn't require mouse-clicking on
anything just to paste some unformatted text. Thanks!!

On my copy of Word, Alt-Ctrl-V is already set to PasteSpecial. I am
assuming it is a default setting. Using that, I only have to press the
"U" key twice and I get unforematted pasting without changing any
system settings.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

While the article may be written for Word 2003, the principles still apply.
See http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm which shows how to install
macros in both Word 2003 and 2007. The macro you need would be:

Sub PasteUnfText()
On Error GoTo oops
Selection.PasteSpecial _
DataType:=wdPasteText, _
Placement:=wdInLine
End
oops:
Beep
End Sub

"Square Peg" wrote in message
I do a lot of cut-and-paste from other applications such as IE and
Excel. Most of the time, I want to do a Paste Special and select the
Paste as Unformatted Text option.

I would like to assign this to a keyboard shortcut. I was unable to
find a command for this operation. Does one exist?

If not, is the next best option to write a little macro and assign
that to the shortcut?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ian[_6_] Ian[_6_] is offline

CTRL + ALT + V brings up the paste dialog, scroll down once, and it is done.

-OR-

Make a macro as follows (Word 2007)

Alt + F11

Copy and Paste the Following:

Sub PasteUnformatted()
Selection.PasteSpecial _
DataType:=wdPasteText, _
Placement:=wdInLine
End Sub

To assign a shortcut key:

Office Button Word Options Customize Keyboard Shortcuts: Customize Press M twice Then, Press New Shortcut Key Alt + F2, for example.

Every time you press Alt + F2 it will paste unformated.

"Square Peg" wrote:

I do a lot of cut-and-paste from other applications such as IE and
Excel. Most of the time, I want to do a Paste Special and select the
Paste as Unformatted Text option.

I would like to assign this to a keyboard shortcut. I was unable to
find a command for this operation. Does one exist?

If not, is the next best option to write a little macro and assign
that to the shortcut?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Default PasteSpecialAsUnformattedText

Hi Ian,

In case there's no data in the clipboard (or something other than text), I'd suggest:

Sub PasteUnformattedText()
On Error Resume Next
Selection.PasteSpecial DataType:=wdPasteText
End Sub

--
Cheers
macropod

"Square Peg" wrote:

I do a lot of cut-and-paste from other applications such as IE and
Excel. Most of the time, I want to do a Paste Special and select the
Paste as Unformatted Text option.

I would like to assign this to a keyboard shortcut. I was unable to
find a command for this operation. Does one exist?

If not, is the next best option to write a little macro and assign
that to the shortcut?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ian[_6_] Ian[_6_] is offline

Thanks - stops any errors in my coding.

Best, IDS.

"Square Peg" wrote:

I do a lot of cut-and-paste from other applications such as IE and
Excel. Most of the time, I want to do a Paste Special and select the
Paste as Unformatted Text option.

I would like to assign this to a keyboard shortcut. I was unable to
find a command for this operation. Does one exist?

If not, is the next best option to write a little macro and assign
that to the shortcut?

Thanks

the file command is gone Christopher Patrick Microsoft Word Help 1 November 27th 07 07:03 PM
SQL Command Dale Mailmerge 5 October 23rd 07 08:31 AM
Command FMM Microsoft Word Help 1 October 7th 07 09:15 PM
Command Button Adel Microsoft Word Help 1 June 15th 06 03:53 PM
Using the "SET" command Bill Page Layout 2 February 6th 05 10:36 PM