Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Boenerge Boenerge is offline

Default Finding

Hi,
Is it possible for word to search for words in brackets e.g. (Witz, 1999)
and then for that word(s) to be automatically cut and pasted into a blank
word document?
If not are there any known programs that can?
Thanks in advance
Jason
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you have Word 2003 or 2007, there is an option to "Highlight [i.e.,
select] all items found" (the terminology is slightly different in 2007);
while they are selected, you can restore focus to the document by clicking
on the title bar, then Ctrl+C, open a new document and Ctrl+V. The search
string, using wildcards, could be as simple as (*).

http://word.mvps.org

"Boenerge" wrote in message
Hi,
Is it possible for word to search for words in brackets e.g. (Witz, 1999)
and then for that word(s) to be automatically cut and pasted into a blank
word document?
If not are there any known programs that can?
Thanks in advance
Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Welcome back, Suzanne!

Unfortunately, W2007 adds a "reading" highlight that is somehow different
from regular highlighting and does not select the items. Bummer. I've been
meaning to ask why they did this.

PamC

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
If you have Word 2003 or 2007, there is an option to "Highlight [i.e.,
select] all items found" (the terminology is slightly different in 2007);
while they are selected, you can restore focus to the document by clicking
on the title bar, then Ctrl+C, open a new document and Ctrl+V. The search
string, using wildcards, could be as simple as (*).

Hi,
Is it possible for word to search for words in brackets e.g. (Witz, 1999)

[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
Thanks in advance
Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I was confused by this as well until Beth Melton beat me over the head with
it and explained that if you click "Find in" (instead of Find Next) and
select "Main Document" or whatever, you get the same functionality as
"Highlight all items found in..." All items are found and selected just as
before. I still think Find All was clearer.

http://word.mvps.org

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
If you have Word 2003 or 2007, there is an option to "Highlight [i.e.,
select] all items found" (the terminology is slightly different in 2007);
while they are selected, you can restore focus to the document by clicking
on the title bar, then Ctrl+C, open a new document and Ctrl+V. The search
string, using wildcards, could be as simple as (*).

Hi,
Is it possible for word to search for words in brackets e.g. (Witz,
1999)

[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]
Thanks in advance
Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Who wouldn't be misled (more accurate than confused, I think). Thank you,
thank you. I have been complaining privately for as long as I've used W2007
about the loss of that functionality.

PamC

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I was confused by this as well until Beth Melton beat me over the head with
it and explained that if you click "Find in" (instead of Find Next) and
select "Main Document" or whatever, you get the same functionality as
"Highlight all items found in..." All items are found and selected just as
before. I still think Find All was clearer.

Welcome back, Suzanne!

[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]
Thanks in advance
Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I have to agree (naturally). Indeed, that's why I didn't spell this out in
my initial post: the combination of inability to remember what absurd
wording was used and sheer laziness (too lazy to open Word 2007 and check)
made it impossible for me to be more precise.

I couldn't imagine that this useful functionality would actually have been
removed from Word 2007, but it took Beth saying, "Would you just *try* it
already?" to get me to see it. g

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
I was confused by this as well until Beth Melton beat me over the head
with
it and explained that if you click "Find in" (instead of Find Next) and
select "Main Document" or whatever, you get the same functionality as
"Highlight all items found in..." All items are found and selected just as
before. I still think Find All was clearer.

Welcome back, Suzanne!

[quoted text clipped - 17 lines]
Thanks in advance
Jason

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

The search string, using wildcards, could be as simple as (*).

Not *quite* as simple:
Find what: \(*\)

The (brackets) have a special meaning in wildcard searches, and as with
other such wildcard characters need to be preceeded with a \backslash if you
really mean the "ordinary" brackets.

Greetings,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Thanks, Klaus. I never make any definite statements wrt wildcards because
I'm such a dunce!

http://word.mvps.org

"Klaus Linke" wrote in message
The search string, using wildcards, could be as simple as (*).

Not *quite* as simple:
Find what: \(*\)

The (brackets) have a special meaning in wildcard searches, and as with
other such wildcard characters need to be preceeded with a \backslash if
you really mean the "ordinary" brackets.

Greetings,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Thanks, Klaus. I never make any definite statements wrt wildcards because
I'm such a dunce!

A dunce?!? Rather a joker it seems, and that should give you a head
start...

SCNR
Klaus

Finding Highlight vvskpk Microsoft Word Help 1 March 7th 09 10:09 AM
finding updates for mac book collector Microsoft Word Help 1 July 25th 08 07:27 PM
finding wordart pete New Users 1 February 23rd 07 01:37 AM
finding normal.dot Helenh Microsoft Word Help 1 November 17th 06 05:06 PM
FINDING changes after Compare RJB Microsoft Word Help 3 March 21st 06 10:29 PM