Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MaryL MaryL is offline

Default Sender's Word attachments never have *.doc extension

I receive a number of messages to include in our church newsletter. One
woman always sends tables prepared in Word, but her documents never have
extensions (*.doc or anything else). As a result, I always hae to manually
"select from" programs to open them in Word. That's not a big problem, but
it would be nicer if she could send them with extensions. My documents--and
everyone else's who sends them to me regularly--authomatically appear with
an extension, so I assume that there is some setting that needs to be
changed on her copy of Word. She uses Word on a personal laptop, but that's
*all* I know about her setup. I could ask questions, if additional
information is needed.

Can anyone tell me how she could change her settings so she will
automatically have the correct extension? If possible, please include info
for both Word 2003 and Word 2007 because I may need to go to her house and
do this for her.

Thanks,
MaryL

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

She would have to go to some trouble to save her Word documents without a
..doc extension if she's using a Windows version, but a Mac version might
well omit the extension.

http://word.mvps.org

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MaryL MaryL is offline

I never thought of the possibility of a Mac. I will ask her. If that is
the problem, is there any way to automatically add an extension in a Mac? I
can tell from her statements that she is not very sure of herself when using
the computer. She does send a lot of tables, but she obviously just uses
the same table over and over--but not a true template--and fills in the
information as needed. She ends up with some very strange alignments within
cells, but that has been easy for me to fix.

MaryL

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I know *nothing* about Macs, but I suspect she'd either have to add the
extension manually or explicitly save in "Windows" format or something other
than just click Save or Save As. If she's as clueless as you suggest, it may
be easier to just keeping adding the extension at your end.

http://word.mvps.org

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
MaryL MaryL is offline

You're probably right. It's really pretty simple to select the correct
program (Word) to use.

Thanks for your help.