Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
GB[_2_] GB[_2_] is offline

Default Hide wbk files?

I would like to hide the wbk files on my wife's computer, purely because she
opens them and then gets confused as she can't edit them and they are not
the latest version and so on. Yes, I know....

One simple solution is for word to set the hidden attribute on the backup
files when it renames them. Is there any way to do that?

Alternatively, can I at least get Word to call them all zzBackup instead of
Backup, so they end up at the bottom of the file list?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
GB[_2_] GB[_2_] is offline

GB wrote:
I would like to hide the wbk files on my wife's computer, purely
because she opens them and then gets confused as she can't edit them
and they are not the latest version and so on. Yes, I know....

One simple solution is for word to set the hidden attribute on the
backup files when it renames them. Is there any way to do that?

Alternatively, can I at least get Word to call them all zzBackup
instead of Backup, so they end up at the bottom of the file list?

BTW, that's for word 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you use Word's File Open dialog, set to All Word Documents, you won't see
them. Beyond that, I don't know of any way to hide them except to manually
mark them as Hidden, which won't help if you have hidden files and folders
displayed. Why not just turn off "Automatically create backup copy" if this
setting is causing a problem?

http://word.mvps.org

"GB" wrote in message
GB wrote:
I would like to hide the wbk files on my wife's computer, purely
because she opens them and then gets confused as she can't edit them
and they are not the latest version and so on. Yes, I know....

One simple solution is for word to set the hidden attribute on the
backup files when it renames them. Is there any way to do that?

Alternatively, can I at least get Word to call them all zzBackup
instead of Backup, so they end up at the bottom of the file list?

BTW, that's for word 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
GB[_2_] GB[_2_] is offline

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
If you use Word's File Open dialog, set to All Word Documents, you
won't see them.

She recently emailed someone the backup file, using gmail. So, simply having
them visible with the explorer is an issue.

Beyond that, I don't know of any way to hide them
except to manually mark them as Hidden, which won't help if you have
hidden files and folders displayed.

That's easy to turn off, of course, but I can't find any automatic way to
make them hidden in the first place.

Why not just turn off
"Automatically create backup copy" if this setting is causing a
problem?

Well, she occasionally messes up big-time, in which case the wbk files are
potentially helpful.

It occurs to me that there's probably a document save event that I could use
to trigger a vba macro? Then just run through all the wbk files in the
directory to make them all hidden. Any thoughts on that?

http://word.mvps.org

"GB" wrote in message
GB wrote:
I would like to hide the wbk files on my wife's computer, purely
because she opens them and then gets confused as she can't edit them
and they are not the latest version and so on. Yes, I know....

One simple solution is for word to set the hidden attribute on the
backup files when it renames them. Is there any way to do that?

Alternatively, can I at least get Word to call them all zzBackup
instead of Backup, so they end up at the bottom of the file list?

BTW, that's for word 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.vba.general

Yes, this would work. I'm cross-posting this to a developer group that may
be able to help with the VBA.

http://word.mvps.org

"GB" wrote in message
GB wrote:
I would like to hide the wbk files on my wife's computer, purely
because she opens them and then gets confused as she can't edit them
and they are not the latest version and so on. Yes, I know....

One simple solution is for word to set the hidden attribute on the
backup files when it renames them. Is there any way to do that?

Alternatively, can I at least get Word to call them all zzBackup
instead of Backup, so they end up at the bottom of the file list?

BTW, that's for word 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.vba.general
Karl E. Peterson Karl E. Peterson is offline

There's probably a more elegant way, but one would be to create a class that sinks
application events, as Dave Rado outlines he

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/AppClassEvents.htm

Then, set a short-duration timer whenever the DocumentBeforeSave event fires, noting
the location where the document is to be saved. When the timer elapses, check for a
backup at that location, and do what needs to be done. Setting a hidden attribute
is pretty easy, using the SetAttr statement.

I'm sure there are more elegant ways to attack this, but they'd probably involve
more work to rig up too.
--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

"GB" wrote in message
GB wrote:
I would like to hide the wbk files on my wife's computer, purely
because she opens them and then gets confused as she can't edit them
and they are not the latest version and so on. Yes, I know....

One simple solution is for word to set the hidden attribute on the
backup files when it renames them. Is there any way to do that?

Alternatively, can I at least get Word to call them all zzBackup
instead of Backup, so they end up at the bottom of the file list?

BTW, that's for word 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.vba.general

Karl E. Peterson wrote:
There's probably a more elegant way, but one would be to create a class that sinks
application events, as Dave Rado outlines he

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/AppClassEvents.htm

Then, set a short-duration timer whenever the DocumentBeforeSave event fires,
noting the location where the document is to be saved. When the timer elapses,
check for a backup at that location, and do what needs to be done. Setting a
hidden attribute is pretty easy, using the SetAttr statement.

I'm sure there are more elegant ways to attack this, but they'd probably involve
more work to rig up too.

No sooner did I post, that one occurred to me. Using that class-based technique to
catch DecumentBeforeSave events is still the key. But forget about timers and such.
Just create the backup yourself when this event fires! It can be wherever, with
whatever attributes, would be appropriate.
--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Is there a reason that you can't teach her not to open a .wbk file? It seems
that it's better to give her the tools to do this right rather than fiddle
around with all of this and allow her to be uneducated in this area. My
husband taught me most of my basic computer skills and because of his
patience, I've been able to develop them even further. (I still enjoy the
time we spend together sharing information with him. Okay, we're geeks, but
we're happy geeks with a common interest.)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]