Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ariel ariel is offline

Default How can I make a custom bibliography style?

Word 2007 brings the possibility of making a bibliography, but it contains
fixed bibliography styles. How can I make one of my own?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Sorry, the Citation Manager is limited and will not work for all
situations. It can only be customized by digging into the code and at
present there seems to be no documentation on how to customize the
code, so that's not very feasible. I believe you have to know something
called XSLT, which may be part of XML, although I am not entirely sure.

Ariel wrote:
Word 2007 brings the possibility of making a bibliography, but it contains
fixed bibliography styles. How can I make one of my own?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

I'm not certain - so please don't quote me - but I suspect that the
bibliography styles are built in to Word and not even customisable through
XML.

--
Enjoy,

Tony Jollans
Microsoft Word MVP

Ariel wrote:
Word 2007 brings the possibility of making a bibliography, but it
contains fixed bibliography styles. How can I make one of my own?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SHaroz SHaroz is offline

They ARE customizable. However, for reasons unknown to me, the wise people at
Microsoft decided to make custimization unimaginably difficult. If you are
bold enough to try, all unintelligable data is in C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office12\Bibliography

-SHaroz

Ariel wrote:
Word 2007 brings the possibility of making a bibliography, but it
contains fixed bibliography styles. How can I make one of my own?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
p0 p0 is offline

Hello Chemie,

Changing the braces is often easily done, it's just a matter of
changing a few lines of xslt. So if you can tell me the style name, I
can probably tell you what to change.

Yves
--
For more Word 2007 Bibliography info, check out http://www.codeplex.com/bibliography

Ariel wrote:
Word 2007 brings the possibility of making abibliography, but it
contains fixedbibliographystyles. How can I make one of my own?- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Katie Katie is offline

Default citing using numbers in the text instead of words

I found a way to get numbered citations in the text. after you 'insert
citation', and add a new citation entry you get the name of your source in
brackets (Doe,J et al. 2008). click on the little triangle at the lower right
corner of the citation and click on 'edit citation'. this allows you to edit
the appearance of the citation in the text. where it says add, put the
desired number into the box. I want my Doe, J citation to be number 1, so i
put a 1 in the box. then check all three of the boxes below, to remove the
name, date and author from the citation field. now your citation should read
(1).

Now you should also go to manage sources, up in the toolbar of the
references tab and make sure you change the 'sort by' field to 'sort by tag'.
then you can give your source a new tag, which corresponds to the number
....1. this wont be updated automatically so you should leave this part until
the end. when you next update your citations, by clicking on the tab in the
works cited section, it should update and you shold have numbers in the text
and in the works cited.

"Ariel" wrote:

Word 2007 brings the possibility of making a bibliography, but it contains
fixed bibliography styles. How can I make one of my own?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
p0 p0 is offline

On 18 nov, 03:01, Katie wrote:
[...]

To be honest, I'm not sure what you try to achieve with the above
solution. I would think that if you use some kind of number to
represent the citation in the text, you would want that same number in
front of your citation in the bibliography. How else would you be able
to find the reference in your bibliography based on the in-text
citation? With your solution, it would be unlikely that the number
will show up in the bibliography. Unless you start editing the
bibliography formatting rules, but then it might be easier to just do
that for in-text citations as well.

Also, setting the "Pages" variable under "Edit citation..." might not
be such a good idea as it does have a totally different meaning.

Setting the "Tag" and suppressing the other variables is a good idea
though. Although it might still be easier to use a style which
actually uses numerical references to start with (e.g. ISO 690 -
Numerical Reference)

Yves
--
http://www.codeplex.com/bibliography

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] sadiq114@gmail.com is offline

I have MS Word 2016.It has built-in styles for citation like IEEE, APA, etc. Our University has a format which is not available here.
Can I insert my own citation style in this word?If yes how? And if no then how should I handle this problem?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 7:11:03 AM UTC-4, Sadiq Akbar wrote:

I have MS Word 2016.It has built-in styles for citation like IEEE, APA, etc. Our University has a format which is not available here.
Can I insert my own citation style in this word?If yes how? And if no then how should I handle this problem?

You can, but it is VERY difficult. You may be able to find what you need at

https://archive.codeplex.com/?p=bibword

-- as "BibWord" -- but as far as I can tell it has not been updated since Word2007, and the Styles created in Word2007 do NOT work in Word2013.

I haven't had the time to experiment with altering the Word2013 built-in
styles to match my custom styles created for Word2007. They look the
same when they're opened in NotePad, but clearly something is different
"behind the scenes."