Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dan Dan is offline

Default Bullets/numbers will not indent after first line

Suzanne
I have just encountered this problem with the failure of bullets & numbering
to progress to the right. I also just noticed that when I press shift+tab,
it does not go to the left, but to the right.
All my wordperfect checks are off.
Before I go into trying to change the settings, is there any new information
that will hopefully make this task simple(r)?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The "bulletproof" way to set this up is to define the numbering as part of a
style and use the style when you want to apply the numbering. For more, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

"Bob" wrote in message
No, the asterisk was for placement purposes only. I can use any bullet or

number, hit the enter button once to go to the next line and the following
line up of bullets/numbers happens:
1.
2.
3.
4.
Or with bullets
.
.
.
.
The first entry is set up correctly, but the rest of them will always go

to the left margin. They do not automatically line up under each other, even
though the settings are the same for each one. For example, if the numbers
were to be indented at .25 and text at .30, say from the customize dialog
button under format/bullets & numbers, this correctly happends only to the
first entry. All the rest, even though they have the very same settings as
..25 and .30, will always place themselves at the left hand of the page
margin. This happens with any numerical placement settings.The only work
around I've found is to highlight the section and then go to the
bullets/numbers dialog box, highlight the picture I want and press ok, then
they all line up correctly.
So, insead of the following:
1.
2.
3.
Word always does this:
1.
2.
3.

Thanks for your response.

"Roxie" wrote:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Are you using the
asterisk (*) as a bullet? You can't do that directly
from the keyboard, you have to go to Format-Bullets &
Numbering-Customize-character and then change the
bullet character to an asterisk (or whatever) and then
select it and click 'OK'.

Also, if you hit 'enter' twice when typing in a bulleted
list (as in when beginning a new line) you'll mess up the
bullets. If you want to skip two lines, use the shift
key.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Word 97 and 2000, click on Tools | Options | Edit | check the
"Tabs and backspace set left indent" box | OK.

In Word 2002 and 2003, click on Tools | AutoCorrect Options |
AutoFormat As You Type | check the "Set left- and first-indent
with tabs and backspaces" box | OK.

"Roxie" wrote:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Are you using the
asterisk (*) as a bullet? You can't do that directly
from the keyboard, you have to go to Format-Bullets &
Numbering-Customize-character and then change the
bullet character to an asterisk (or whatever) and then
select it and click 'OK'.

Also, if you hit 'enter' twice when typing in a bulleted
list (as in when beginning a new line) you'll mess up the
bullets. If you want to skip two lines, use the shift
key.

No matter what I've tried, I can't seem to have bullets

and numbers stay properly formatted. Example:

*
*
*