Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
ZundapMan ZundapMan is offline

Default Need help with addressing 4-up post cards

I have Avery 8387 card stock and have designed my mailing and printed the
back of the card, but I can't get either the Avery templates or Word 2007
options to print the front with addresses merged from Excel. I've tried
everything I can think of short of shooting my computer with my wife's 38
Police Special.

I got as far as a display which had badly formatted addresses in a preview
but could not come up with a strategy for getting well formatted address
blocks on all four postcards. When I tried using a table and putting the
address inside it, I started getting a popup error message complaining that I
was trying to put the address in a place which was not allowed, at least that
is how I read the error. Note that when I try to get the wizard to insert
the address blocks, they get inserted at the top left of each card, and the
minute I try moving them (cut and paste) I'm screwing something up.

Now I can't even get more than one address block to display and the same
error if I try to print or generate documents I can edit individually. I've
started over from scratch several times on the theory that maybe the template
I started with from Avery had to be in Word 2007 instead of the compatiblity
mode. If I try saving the template from Avery in Word 2007, the layout
changes, and it still does not take the
"next record" properly. There is a "single postcard" idea in Word 2007 but
when I select that, word wants to clear everything I put into it when I go to
Merge, so I can't get the page with both a merged address and a return
address printing as a single pass. It didn't use to be so difficult!

Ideally, I should be able to pull the data through from Excel and print four
cards per page with both address verification services and electronic postage
metering in place, but I can't even get the baby steps right. HELP!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You may find this link on Graham Mayor's site useful:

http://www.gmayor.com/duplex_merge_data.htm

However, it may not address the specific problems you are encountering. I
was unable to download Avery's template for 8387 so cannot tell what might
be wrong with it. (Perhaps it isn't based on a Word table?)

You may also need to avoid use of the ADDRESSBLOCK and use the individual
fields.

Peter Jamieson