Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Janter Janter is offline

Default Word in Home Student Version vs Standard

Got a new PC with Vista 3 weeks ago.

Installed the 60-day free trial Office Home and Student 2007 (OHS) version.

Two days ago I installed and registered Office Standard 2007 (OS). No
problems. The installation never mentioned uninstalling OHS so I didn't,
assuming it would all work out. Now I have both installed.

When I had only OHS and called up Word, the opening title read "Document1 -
Microsoft Word non-commercial use (Trial)" After installing OS, the opening
title is still the same. What bothers me is that it is still marked as
"Trial."

My shortcut links in the start-up menu and quick-link tray are both linked
to the new OS.

I have removed all links to OHS that I can find, but I have not uninstalled
it.

Some basic questions:
1. Is there a problem here?

2. Should I have uninstalled OHS before installing OS?

3. Can I expect to have trouble when the 60-day trial period expires on OHS?

4. Should I uninstall OHS now? Will that take necessary OS files with it and
screw up OS?

Comments/advice would be appreciated. I'm low to moderate skill.

Thanks

Janter

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Uninstall all Office software. Install retail version.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Janter" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Janter Janter is offline

Default Word --- To JoAnn and Suzanne

JoAnn and Suzanne

Thanks very much for the info. Got it. Unfortunately, that's not what I was
hoping to hear, but got it.

Follow-up question before I do it: Unbeknownst to me until I got it home,
the Office Standard that I bought is licensed for 3 PCs. (It was in very
very tiny print.) Coincidently, I have 3 home PCs, so was hoping to load all
three. (I haven't installed the other two yet.) When I uninstall this one
and reinstall, will that have used up two licenses? Or is it smart enough to
know it's a reinstall and leave me with two? (I should be so lucky!!)

Don't you think it would be reasonable for MS to advise me to uninstall any
other Office that might be on the PC before installing new. Or is there
something there that should be obvious to even the dull?

Thanks

Janter

"Janter" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Janter,

If the small print you're referring to is on the product box it's usually an asterisk that refers to the 3 machine license for the
Home and Student version, rather than the Standard edition.

=============
"Janter" wrote in message ...
JoAnn and Suzanne

Thanks very much for the info. Got it. Unfortunately, that's not what I was
hoping to hear, but got it.

Follow-up question before I do it: Unbeknownst to me until I got it home,
the Office Standard that I bought is licensed for 3 PCs. (It was in very
very tiny print.) Coincidently, I have 3 home PCs, so was hoping to load all
three. (I haven't installed the other two yet.) When I uninstall this one
and reinstall, will that have used up two licenses? Or is it smart enough to
know it's a reinstall and leave me with two? (I should be so lucky!!)

Don't you think it would be reasonable for MS to advise me to uninstall any
other Office that might be on the PC before installing new. Or is there
something there that should be obvious to even the dull?

Thanks

Janter

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Janter Janter is offline

Default Word --- To JoAnn and Suzanne and Bob

Hi Bob,

Thanks. You are correct to that point. However, I purchased a "Military
Appreciation Edition" which had inside a separate MS written statement
"ADDENDUM TO MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE..." that reads "1. OVERVIEW. These
license terms permit installation and use of a copy of the software on three
devices..." and further "You may install one copy of the software on three
licensed devices in your household for use by people who reside there."

They might be joshin me, but at this point I think I have three licenses. As
I said, I haven't tried installing #2 and #3. Could be wrong.

So my question still stands.

Thanks

Janter

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...

"Janter" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

That's interesting. Obviously we never get to see (or hear) about the MAE
version. If it is on the EULA, then there is no problem about installing it
on three devices.

If you have already activated it once and now need to uninstall it
completely to get it working correctly, activation MAY be blocked when you
install it on the third device. However, if it does get blocked, the dialog
will give you a telephone number you can call to activate it over the phone.
You only need to explain that you had to uninstall it first time around
because of the problem with the trial version still being present and they
will dictate an activation code over the phone for you.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Janter" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Janter,

Ahhh, I don't believe you mentioned that this was a Military Appreciation edition (limited in sales to Active/retired military or
their dependents) of Office 2007 Standard edition. On that one, yes the license is for 3 installations in a single household
(basically the same as the Home and Student) license. The $80 base/post exchange price isn't too bad either g.

================
"Janter" wrote in message ...
Hi Bob,

Thanks. You are correct to that point. However, I purchased a "Military
Appreciation Edition" which had inside a separate MS written statement
"ADDENDUM TO MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE..." that reads "1. OVERVIEW. These
license terms permit installation and use of a copy of the software on three
devices..." and further "You may install one copy of the software on three
licensed devices in your household for use by people who reside there."

They might be joshin me, but at this point I think I have three licenses. As
I said, I haven't tried installing #2 and #3. Could be wrong.

So my question still stands.

Thanks

Janter
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Hi Janter,

To answer your other question, the 'trial' mark may still appear if the PC came with what MS calls the 'hybrid' edition, which has
two flavors of Office 2007 included in it, one of which is the Professional Edition with it being sort of a 'why not upgrade to this
one' teaser [i.e. MS wouldn't necessarily want you to remove the marketing g]

The 'non commercial use' banner is normally applicable to the Home and Student edition and may also be tied to the Military
Appreciation Edition product key, which is similar.

Uninstalling all of the Microsoft Office 2007 editions other than the one you purchased, restarting the PC then installing or
reinstall/repair the one you're keeping will often remove any of the banners or 'cross over' bits that are left behind.