Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Marilyn Marilyn is offline

Default Page X OF Y In Word 2007 Deletes Text In Header

Hello,

I have a multi page document in Word 2007 with headers and footers. The
header has 3 lines: 1st Line Dept, 2nd line author, 3rd line date. We have
to format the header in this manner. I'm try to select the Top Of Page Page
X OF Y format from the Page Number button in the headers and footer Tools
Design tab, however, when I select the format it erases everything in the
header and replaces it with the page number.

I have tried just about everything and I can't figure out why Word is
deleting all of the text in the Header when I choose this format.

Please Help,

Thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com is offline

Open the header pane and in the location where you want the Page X of Y to
appear, type

Page page of numpages

then select the second word (page) and press Ctrl+F9, and then select the
last word (numpages) and once again press Ctrl+F9.

You should then see

Page { page } of { numpages }

Press Alt+F9 to toggle of the display of the field codes and you should then
see Page X of Y

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Marilyn" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a multi page document in Word 2007 with headers and footers. The
header has 3 lines: 1st Line Dept, 2nd line author, 3rd line date. We
have
to format the header in this manner. I'm try to select the Top Of Page
Page
X OF Y format from the Page Number button in the headers and footer Tools
Design tab, however, when I select the format it erases everything in the
header and replaces it with the page number.

I have tried just about everything and I can't figure out why Word is
deleting all of the text in the Header when I choose this format.

Please Help,

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

You can use the Page X of Y entry from the Page Number gallery, but to prevent
it from wiping out any existing header, you must first position the cursor in
the header pane where you want the entry to go, and then you MUST select from
the "Current Position" menu, not from the "Top of Page" menu.

All of the "Top of Page" and "Bottom of Page" building blocks always replace any
existing header or footer, respectively -- that's why the "Current Position"
ones are there.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Marilyn" wrote in message
Hello,

I have a multi page document in Word 2007 with headers and footers. The
header has 3 lines: 1st Line Dept, 2nd line author, 3rd line date. We
have
to format the header in this manner. I'm try to select the Top Of Page
Page
X OF Y format from the Page Number button in the headers and footer Tools
Design tab, however, when I select the format it erases everything in the
header and replaces it with the page number.

I have tried just about everything and I can't figure out why Word is
deleting all of the text in the Header when I choose this format.

Please Help,

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Marilyn Marilyn is offline

Thank you all for the quick reply. This issue had been heavy on my mind.

I did not realize that the Top of page or bottom of page would replace the
entire Header, however, when I choose current position it does not position
the page number where I have the cursor positioned.

Any ideas....