Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] faceman28208@yahoo.com is offline

Default Hyphenation in a TOC

I have tried several examples and have not been able to enable
hyphenation in a table of contents. The disable hyphenation setting is
unchecked in the paragraph styles but no hyphens.

Is there some trick to this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Even if it were possible, I would strongly advise against it. You might,
however, try inserting conditional hyphens in the actual headings.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
I have tried several examples and have not been able to enable
hyphenation in a table of contents. The disable hyphenation setting is
unchecked in the paragraph styles but no hyphens.

Is there some trick to this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On Jan 28, 9:10*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Even if it were possible, I would strongly advise against it. You might,
however, try inserting conditional hyphens in the actual headings.

I tried to discourage the user. No budge. I hate justified headings.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] faceman28208@yahoo.com is offline

I experimented today on the user's problem. It is really string how
Word behaves. If I cut the text from the TOC field and paste it, World
absolutely refuses to hyphenate it.
If I paste special as text, then apply TOC styles to it,Word justifies
the text. It looks like something get set behind the scenes that
cannot be unset.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You have to realize that text in the TOC is part of a field, so its behavior
is governed by whatever laws are applied to fields. But are we talking about
justifying text or hyphenating it? Those will be two entirely different
things. Keep in mind that the TOC entries, if they include page numbers, are
going to include a right-aligned tab stop and a tab character, which would
prevent them from being justified. And it may be that the style (or the
field) is formatted as "Do not check spelling or grammar," which would
prevent hyphenation. When you apply the TOC style to text that is not in a
table of contents, it does not include the tab stop for page numbers (which
is generated dynamically) nor the tab character (ditto), so it would behave
differently outside the TOC. Regardless of whether the headings themselves
are justified, I can see absolutely no defense of trying to have the TOC
entries justified.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
I experimented today on the user's problem. It is really string how
Word behaves. If I cut the text from the TOC field and paste it, World
absolutely refuses to hyphenate it.
If I paste special as text, then apply TOC styles to it,Word justifies
the text. It looks like something get set behind the scenes that
cannot be unset.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On Jan 30, 8:32*am, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
[...]

What is weird is that the paragraphs will not hyphenate even AFTER
being cut and pasted out of the field or the link to the field is
broken. However, they will hyphenate if you do a paste special as text
and apply the TOC.

styles.

I wish I could convince users to do things the easy way....but I can't.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

The only way to do this is to create your TOC, then with the cursor in the
TOC (so that it selected) use the UnLinkField command (Ctrl+Shft+F9) which
unlinks the field and effectively turn the TOC (field) into text
(non-field).

This will let you do whatever you like with the formatting but has the
obvious disadvantages that if the document is edited, the TOC has to be
recreated from scratch and justified/hyphenated it will look
unconventionally ghastly.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On Jan 30, 5:05*pm, "Terry Farrell" wrote:
The only way to do this is to create your TOC, then with the cursor in the
TOC (so that it selected) use the UnLinkField command (Ctrl+Shft+F9) which
unlinks the field and effectively turn the TOC (field) into text
(non-field).

This will let you do whatever you like with the formatting but has the
obvious disadvantages that if the document is edited, the TOC has to be
recreated from scratch and justified/hyphenated it will look
unconventionally ghastly.

Even after you unlink the TOC it STILL will not hyphenate.

The only thing I have found that makes it hyphenate is to paste
special as text and they apply at TOC style.

Hyphenation Sherry Microsoft Word Help 0 November 11th 09 01:23 PM
hyphenation: how to correct the auto-hyphenation of a specific wo guemue50 Microsoft Word Help 4 August 12th 09 01:20 PM
Hyphenation MarkN Microsoft Word Help 2 August 7th 06 04:35 AM
Hyphenation Oliver88 Microsoft Word Help 1 June 28th 06 10:46 PM
how to use hyphenation r Microsoft Word Help 1 March 27th 06 01:54 AM