Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
page number is inactive[_2_] page number is inactive[_2_] is offline

Default 2 figures cross reference

I want to refer to two figures, for example say "in Figures 1 and 2..." when
I use cross-reference, there seems to be no way rather than writting "in
Figure 1 and Figure 2...."

I tried to delete second "Figure" manually, but when I update the field it
comes back.

Any suggestions?

thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You could manually add a bookmark around the numbers and then cross-reference
the bookmark text.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"page number is inactive" wrote
in message ...
I want to refer to two figures, for example say "in Figures 1 and 2..." when
I use cross-reference, there seems to be no way rather than writting "in
Figure 1 and Figure 2...."

I tried to delete second "Figure" manually, but when I update the field it
comes back.

Any suggestions?

thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/CombineXrefs.htm

http://word.mvps.org

"page number is inactive"
wrote in message ...
I want to refer to two figures, for example say "in Figures 1 and 2..."
when
I use cross-reference, there seems to be no way rather than writting "in
Figure 1 and Figure 2...."

I tried to delete second "Figure" manually, but when I update the field it
comes back.

Any suggestions?

thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"The brilliant way" is certainly... well, brilliant. :-)

I find that redefining the hidden bookmark ("the kludgy workaround") isn't as
reliable in Word 2007 as it used to be in earlier versions.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message ...
I want to refer to two figures, for example say "in Figures 1 and 2..." when
I use cross-reference, there seems to be no way rather than writting "in
Figure 1 and Figure 2...."

I tried to delete second "Figure" manually, but when I update the field it
comes back.

Any suggestions?

thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To be more specific: I have noticed, at least once, that the Bookmark dialog box
cannot be used to uniquely locate (the name of) the hidden bookmark at the
insertion point. I haven't made any thorough tests after I updated Office to the
most recent service pack, though.

--

wrote in message ...
I want to refer to two figures, for example say "in Figures 1 and 2..." when
I use cross-reference, there seems to be no way rather than writting "in
Figure 1 and Figure 2...."

I tried to delete second "Figure" manually, but when I update the field it
comes back.

Any suggestions?

thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

My experience with using the Bookmark dialog to find these bookmarks is that
you have to not only check the box for "Hidden bookmarks" but also select
the radio button for "Location" rather than "Name."

wrote in message
I want to refer to two figures, for example say "in Figures 1 and 2..."
when
I use cross-reference, there seems to be no way rather than writting
"in
Figure 1 and Figure 2...."

I tried to delete second "Figure" manually, but when I update the
field it
comes back.

Any suggestions?

thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thank "macropod" (Paul Edstein) for that one.

http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message
I want to refer to two figures, for example say "in Figures 1 and
2..."
when
I use cross-reference, there seems to be no way rather than
writting "in
Figure 1 and Figure 2...."

I tried to delete second "Figure" manually, but when I update the
field
it
comes back.

Any suggestions?

thank you

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JenC JenC is offline

This is fantastic - thanks! That has always driven me crazy, but I honestly
assumed there was no way to change it. I'll be testing it out soon!

(Now, if only you could find a way to have "Only Label and Number" as the
default in the insert cross-reference box, I would be very happy!!)