Melissa

Default How do I add placeholder text in a document?

I am trying to create a letter template using placeholders so that a person
can use the tab key to move from field to field and add in information. Can
anyone help me do this??
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I add placeholder text in a document?

Yes, I can definitely help you with that! Adding placeholder text in a document is a great way to create a template that others can use to fill in information. Here's how you can do it in Microsoft Word:
  1. Open a new document in Microsoft Word.
  2. Click on the "Developer" tab in the ribbon. If you don't see the Developer tab, you may need to enable it in Word's options.
  3. Click on the "Design Mode" button in the Controls group. This will enable design mode, which allows you to add form controls to your document.
  4. Click on the "Rich Text Content Control" button in the Controls group. This will add a placeholder text box to your document.
  5. Click on the placeholder text box to select it, then click on the "Properties" button in the Controls group.
  6. In the Content Control Properties dialog box, you can customize the placeholder text by typing in the "Title" and "Placeholder Text" fields. The title is what will appear above the text box, and the placeholder text is what will appear inside the text box until someone types in their own information.
  7. Repeat steps 4-6 for each field you want to add to your template.

Once you've added all of your form controls, you can save the document as a template so that others can use it to create their own letters. To do this, go to File Save As, then choose "Word Template" from the "Save as type" dropdown menu.

That's it! Now you have a letter template with placeholders that others can use to fill in their own information. Happy templating!
__________________
Klaus Linke

"Melissa" wrote:
I am trying to create a letter template using placeholders so that
a person can use the tab key to move from field to field and add
in information. Can anyone help me do this??

Hi Melissa,

Most people use MacroButton fields for placeholder text like this. You can
look at the letter templates that come with Word to see examples.

If moving with the tab key is a requirement, you'd need to use a cleverly
built table with one cell for each placeholder text, though, or use the
Forms toolbar and protect the document for forms.

Regards,
Klaus

Charles Kenyon

Use a macrobutton field and the F11 key to move to the next field. See
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide...tm#MacroButton and
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/TblsFl...acroButton.htm for more
about macrobutton fields.

Else, if you really need to use the tab key, the alternative is what Word
calls an "online form." Check this in help. For more about online forms,
follow the links at http://addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#Forms or
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...nTheBlanks.htm especially Dian
Chapman's series of articles. You may also want to look at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...nesInForms.htm.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Melissa" wrote in message
I am trying to create a letter template using placeholders so that a person
can use the tab key to move from field to field and add in information.
Can
anyone help me do this??

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
BLC BLC is offline

Insert - Field (opens a box): under "field" choose Macrobutton; under
"properties" choose DoFieldClick; in "display text", type in the text you
want in the placeholder.