Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mark Davila

Default A row breaks in the middle of the table

Greetings,

I use MS Word 2002. I am trying to impose a little order on a 400 page
manual I've written and am encountering all sorts of knotty little problems.

Here's one of my "favorites." My document has lots and lots of tables.
Occasionally, I'll have one that breaks in the middle. But it's not breaking
over a page. (I've already tried, Table/row/allow rows to break across
pages) Instead, it's breaking at a middle row and displaying (in print
layout and print preview) it as two different tables, one above the other.
Interestingly, the table displays as it should in Outline view. And if I
copy the table to a new document, it copies fine - as one table instead of
two.

Mark Davila
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TWFyayBEYXZpbGE=?=,

Here's one of my "favorites." My document has lots and lots of tables.
Occasionally, I'll have one that breaks in the middle. But it's not breaking
over a page. (I've already tried, Table/row/allow rows to break across
pages) Instead, it's breaking at a middle row and displaying (in print
layout and print preview) it as two different tables, one above the other.
Interestingly, the table displays as it should in Outline view. And if I
copy the table to a new document, it copies fine - as one table instead of
two.

Well, my first thought is that you perhaps have a graphical object of some kind,
probably anchored outside the table (so it's not getting copied), that might be
causing this? If you click the big white arrow in the Drawing toolbar, then drag
from the left edge of the page, diagonally to the right edge, over the entire
table, does anything with "white handles" show up?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mark Davila

Dear Cindy,

Thank you so much for the tip. I really appreciate it. I'm not totally
sure, but I think the problem actually was that there was a page break
floating around somewhere (in the background?) in the middle of the table,
and that the table was breaking across a page break. (Not breaking across
two pages, but breaking across a hard page break lodged in the middle of a
page.)

I couldn't seem to delete that page break either, so I just deleted the
entire page and then pasted in a copy (sans the hard page break) and it seems
to have worked.

Anyway, I'm going to remember your advice on using the drawing arrow to hunt
for hidden graphical objects. I'm sure I'll be needing it with this 400 page
opus of mine which, now that I'm trying to impose a little style-based order
and consistency, is popping up with all sorts of charming surprises. Thanks
again!

Mark Davila

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?TWFyayBEYXZpbGE=?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TWFyayBEYXZpbGE=?=,

I'm not totally
sure, but I think the problem actually was that there was a page break
floating around somewhere (in the background?) in the middle of the table,
and that the table was breaking across a page break. (Not breaking across
two pages, but breaking across a hard page break lodged in the middle of a
page.)

Hmmm. Since the "break" didn't copy across to a new document, I have my
doubts whether a page break was involved. But glad things settled down for
you, at any rate :-)