Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RoxSn

Default Need an index with text identifier AND page numbers

I have a TOC that has about six pages of states that I would like
alphabetized. I know the best way to do this is with indexing but I also need
a text identifier inserted after the state name (title) and then the dot
leader and page number. I've figured out how to add the text using the
cross-reference box but then it doesn't put in dot leader and page number.
What would the correct switches be in the index field to get both the text
after the indexed state name, then dot leader and page number? Right now my
field looks like this:
{ XE "GEORGIA" \t "(RC)" }
Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RoxSn

The other problem (which I just thought of) is that indexes do not have
hyperlinked page numbers and this is a government report that will be posted
online that needs links to the pages. Is there a switch for making page
numbers linked to the Index?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

An index includes what you tell it to include. So your XE field should be:

{ XE "GEORGIA (RC)" \t }

"RoxSn" wrote in message
I have a TOC that has about six pages of states that I would like
alphabetized. I know the best way to do this is with indexing but I also

need
a text identifier inserted after the state name (title) and then the dot
leader and page number. I've figured out how to add the text using the
cross-reference box but then it doesn't put in dot leader and page number.
What would the correct switches be in the index field to get both the text
after the indexed state name, then dot leader and page number? Right now

my
field looks like this:
{ XE "GEORGIA" \t "(RC)" }
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unfortunately, no, that feature is not available in any current version of
Word.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

An index includes what you tell it to include. So your XE field should

be:

{ XE "GEORGIA (RC)" \t }

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"RoxSn" wrote in message
I have a TOC that has about six pages of states that I would like
alphabetized. I know the best way to do this is with indexing but I

also
need
a text identifier inserted after the state name (title) and then the

dot
leader and page number. I've figured out how to add the text using the
cross-reference box but then it doesn't put in dot leader and page

number.
What would the correct switches be in the index field to get both the

text
after the indexed state name, then dot leader and page number? Right

now
my
field looks like this:
{ XE "GEORGIA" \t "(RC)" }
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RoxSn

Well, I found a workaround... it's a bit time consuming to set up, but will
save hours of work every year when we update this report. I set up an index
for the state names and bookmarked each title. After running the index (set
up to have the dot leader but no page number), I insert the page number in
the index by using the PageRef field and then the bookmark for that title and
it comes in as a linked page number. I'm hoping to figure out a macro to help
with inserting the PageRef field since there are about 250 page numbers that
will have to be inserted. Still less time consuming than manually
alphabetizing that many state names.

"RoxSn" wrote in message
I have a TOC that has about six pages of states that I would like
alphabetized. I know the best way to do this is with indexing but I

also
need
a text identifier inserted after the state name (title) and then the

dot
leader and page number. I've figured out how to add the text using the
cross-reference box but then it doesn't put in dot leader and page

number.
What would the correct switches be in the index field to get both the

text
after the indexed state name, then dot leader and page number? Right

now
my
field looks like this:
{ XE "GEORGIA" \t "(RC)" }
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RoxSn

You know, this didn't work when I created this thing 5 years ago but it does
now! Silly me not to think to try it again with the newer version of Word
(actually, I think we're about 3 versions later). Thanks!