Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wally Wombat

Default help I'm being left behind with my font problem

Oh illustrious microsoft helpers readers and other computer folk

How's that for a bit of grovelling.

Nobody has answered my question and I am desperate for an answer:

When I highlight a piece of text and then look to change the font through
the path: formatfont, the preview panel just says "sample" and not a piece
of the highlighted text, I'm sure this used to give part of the highlight as
a sample, as I am trying to find a particular number font, "sample" does not
help a great deal. What's happened and how can I preview the numbers in the
various font.

Oh where are you susan when I need you

Many many thanks in advnace
--
Eats, roots and leaves.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly

Hi Wally

I guess you haven't got an answer because no-one knows the answer and can't
replicate the problem. My only guess is to make sure that the languages for
Windows, Office and Word are all lined up to the same language.

If I assume that someone called Wally W. is from Australia, then (a) you
shouldn't be working; you should be cheering on the swimmers in Melbourne
and (b) you need to set up Windows, Office and Word to use Australian
English. See http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister/LangFmt.htm for
details. When Word recognizes mis-spellings of Parramatta and Maribyrnong
and offers the correct spellings, you know you've got it right.

Who's susan?

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Wally Wombat" wrote in message
Oh illustrious microsoft helpers readers and other computer folk

How's that for a bit of grovelling.

Nobody has answered my question and I am desperate for an answer:

When I highlight a piece of text and then look to change the font through
the path: formatfont, the preview panel just says "sample" and not a
piece
of the highlighted text, I'm sure this used to give part of the highlight
as
a sample, as I am trying to find a particular number font, "sample" does
not
help a great deal. What's happened and how can I preview the numbers in
the
various font.

Oh where are you susan when I need you

Many many thanks in advnace
--
Eats, roots and leaves.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Wally,

If you have 'right to left' or asian languages enabled in Word it will usually show 'Sample' on the left and a 'complex script'
example in the right of the dialog (Word doesn't do the translation so it just uses Sample).

Check in Start=Programs=Microsoft Office=Microsoft Office Tools
and see if the Language Settings Tool has enabled non-english languages listed.
If you have Internet Explorer setup to automatically install language files
from sites visited that may be a source of that being changed if it
wasn't done intentionally.

-===============
"Wally Wombat" wrote in message
Oh illustrious microsoft helpers readers and other computer folk

How's that for a bit of grovelling.

Nobody has answered my question and I am desperate for an answer:

When I highlight a piece of text and then look to change the font through
the path: formatfont, the preview panel just says "sample" and not a piece
of the highlighted text, I'm sure this used to give part of the highlight as
a sample, as I am trying to find a particular number font, "sample" does not
help a great deal. What's happened and how can I preview the numbers in the
various font.

Oh where are you susan when I need you

Many many thanks in advnace
--
Eats, roots and leaves.
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends

Pricing and Packages for '2007 Microsoft Office System'
http://microsoft.com/office/preview

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wally Wombat

Thanks for the help. Yes Bob, the sample box does show both western and asian
characters, now for the important question, how does one turn it off or
reverse the option, as I can't find any way, short of reloading the office
suite.
--
Eats, roots and leaves.

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly

Hi Wally

You should be able to do it by using the Control Panel Regional and
Language Options Languages *untick* "complex script" and *untick* "East
Asian languages. But sometimes that doesn't work. For more drastic measures,
see this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...c04f842bd786ef

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

Rather than going via Windows (which I'm not sure will work anyway) go via
Start All Programs Office Office Tools Office Language settings and
remove any complex script and rtl languages from office.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Shauna Kelly" wrote in message
Hi Wally

You should be able to do it by using the Control Panel Regional and
Language Options Languages *untick* "complex script" and *untick*

"East
Asian languages. But sometimes that doesn't work. For more drastic

measures,
see this thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...browse_frm/thr
ead/cec04f842bd786ef

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wally Wombat

Again thanks for all the input.The solution was in the "Microsoft office XP
language settings". I removed all the other languages bar english and lo and
behold when I returned to word all the complex language stuff had gone and I
could finally find the correct font I was looking for in the sample box.
It was TwCenMT, so thank goodness Ididn't have to go through the entire font
collection alphabetically to find the right font for the numbers I wanted!

Cheers

Eats, roots and leaves.