Harry Sampson

Default OLE_LINK & MS Word 2003

Hi,

How do I prevent OLE_LINKs from being constantly created every time I copy
and paste something from within MS Word (ver, 2003)?

In many cases, these are internal copy and pastes. I am not copying from the
Internet or anything. I am just copying and pasting internally to the
document.

What is the purpose of OLE_LINK?

Thank you.

HS

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Harry,

Normally, I'd expect to see an OLE_Link as a bookmark name. Where are you
seeing these?

And they're generally created when I copy/paste, say, table data into an MS
Graph datasheet, with a link so that the MS graph will automatically update
when the Word table data changes.

I'll see it when I copy/paste between a Word document and an embedded Excel
worksheet (or vice versa).

IOW, an OLE_Link makes sure data is exchanged properly between an embedded
object and the main document.

How do I prevent OLE_LINKs from being constantly created every time I copy
and paste something from within MS Word (ver, 2003)?

In many cases, these are internal copy and pastes. I am not copying from the
Internet or anything. I am just copying and pasting internally to the
document.

What is the purpose of OLE_LINK?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Harry Sampson

Cindy M -WordMVP-...
Hi Harry,

Normally, I'd expect to see an OLE_Link as a bookmark name. Where are you
seeing these?

I am seeing these in a normal MS Word document. For example, I am helping a
student create a resume. When I received her resume, I merely created a
table within her resume and copy some stuff from above in her document and
into her table. In other words, it is all internal to the same document.
There should be NO links to outside documents, MS Word or others.

And they're generally created when I copy/paste, say, table data into an
MS
Graph datasheet, with a link so that the MS graph will automatically
update
when the Word table data changes.

That I could understand. If I were cutting and pasting from MS Excel into
MS Word, fine. Or from the Web to MS Word, fine. But from within the same
MS Word document itself???

Every time I cut and paste, I am getting new bookmarks. It is driving me
batty.

HS

Harry Sampson

Just to clarify, I should not have stated, "Every time I cut and paste, I am
getting new bookmarks." I meant to say, "Every time I copy and paste, I am
getting new bookmarks."

But it is even worse than that. Every time I copy. I don't even have to
paste. If I just go through the document and copy stuff, I get a bookmark
(OLE_LINK) wherever I copied from.

Again, I am using Word 2003, Windows XP.

I look forward to your guidance.

HS

Daiya Mitchell

We've seen this spontaneous generation of bookmarks in MacWord 2004, as
well, from simple copy and paste--although it doesn't affect everyone.
There was another mention of it in Word 2003 in one of the newsgroups less
than a month ago (unless that was Harry).

Cindy, if you can get any additional info, please share.

Daiya

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Harry Sampson

Daiya Mitchell
We've seen this spontaneous generation of bookmarks in MacWord 2004, as
well, from simple copy and paste--although it doesn't affect everyone.
There was another mention of it in Word 2003 in one of the newsgroups less
than a month ago (unless that was Harry).

Cindy, if you can get any additional info, please share.

Daiya

Hi,

I have got a hunch that it has something to do with Microsoft's ability to
paste one of your prior 12 (or whatever number) copies. Sometimes when I
copy and paste, I will be given a "box" where I can choose which thing I
want to paste. Office has a "feature" that remembers some of your recent
copies. I think this was a "feature" in Office 2003.

I don't know where that feature is, how to enable or disable it. I am not
seeing that feature now, though I do see it sometimes. I am not sure what
"triggers" it.

Does this help at all?

HS

Harry Sampson

Hi,

My hunch is wrong. I turned the clipboard feature on and off, and
mysterious bookmarks still keep appearing with the OLE_LINK. Actually, it
is OLE_LINK + number.

HS

Harry Sampson wrote...
I have got a hunch that it has something to do with Microsoft's ability to
paste one of your prior 12 (or whatever number) copies. Sometimes when I
copy and paste, I will be given a "box" where I can choose which thing I
want to paste. Office has a "feature" that remembers some of your recent
copies. I think this was a "feature" in Office 2003.

I don't know where that feature is, how to enable or disable it. I am not
seeing that feature now, though I do see it sometimes. I am not sure what
"triggers" it.

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Harry,

My hunch is wrong. I turned the clipboard feature on and off, and
mysterious bookmarks still keep appearing with the OLE_LINK. Actually, it
is OLE_LINK + number.

I'd like to pass this up the line. Could you email me such a document? Use my
account at swiss on line (see below my sig). My name, just as you see it
there, followed by @ then the ISP

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Harry Sampson

Hi Cindy,

Thank you very much for your personalized offer of assistance. I am going
to follow up. I will send you two documents.

1) The student's resume.
2) A brand new fresh document

Both will exhibit the problem. The reason for providing the fresh document
is that I don't know which version the student uses etc. But the fresh
document is "fresh" from my PC. Also, I use Norton Anti-virus and Webroot
Spy Sweeper, so my PC is free from viruses and spyware. My documents will
be safe.

For many newsgroups, I use a psuedonym. This forum is no exception. You
will receive an e-mail with the subject "Harry Sampson: Copy & OLE_LINK".
That will be me.

HS

I'd like to pass this up the line. Could you email me such a document? Use
my
account at swiss on line (see below my sig). My name, just as you see it
there, followed by @ then the ISP

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Dayo,

We've seen this spontaneous generation of bookmarks in MacWord 2004, as
well, from simple copy and paste--although it doesn't affect everyone.
There was another mention of it in Word 2003 in one of the newsgroups less
than a month ago (unless that was Harry).

The only thing I've learned in addition, so far, is that the issue seems to
be OS-related. When Harry starts Windows in SAFE MODE, the problem goes
away.

Cindy Meister

In typing dates in Word, i.e. "January 12" how do you keep the "1. Carol Microsoft Word Help 2 January 12th 05 09:09 PM
word xp crashes after macros are recorded kharris0405 Microsoft Word Help 3 January 11th 05 11:50 PM
WP Delay Code - Word Equiv Mike G - Milw, WI Microsoft Word Help 6 January 10th 05 05:12 PM
macro in word js Microsoft Word Help 1 December 28th 04 04:01 AM
Acrobat writer 5.0 Compatibility with word 2003 Norman Marshall Microsoft Word Help 1 November 25th 04 12:12 PM