Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Malcolm_T_TAFE Malcolm_T_TAFE is offline

Default How can I access macros in Word without password on Normal.dot?

It appears that one of the security fixes for Office 2003 has 'appropriated'
Normal.dot by placing a password on it. This is something that I never do,
as I do a lot of development in Word (just for myself) and I have some
incomplete macros there that I need to get finalised so that I can use them.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

It wasn't a Microsoft update. I have them all installed and have no problem
opening normal.dot.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Malcolm_T_TAFE" wrote in message
It appears that one of the security fixes for Office 2003 has
'appropriated'
Normal.dot by placing a password on it. This is something that I never
do,
as I do a lot of development in Word (just for myself) and I have some
incomplete macros there that I need to get finalised so that I can use
them.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Twila Twila is offline

It's very possible that the normal.dot template is set to 'read only'.
You'll need to do a search of your computer for "normal.dot". When you find
it, right click on it, go to properties, then check to see if 'read only' is
checked. If so, uncheck it. Then you should be able to make changes. To my
knowledge, it's never been password protected.

It's also very possible that your security settings in Word are set too
high. You may need to change those settings to accept macros. Open Word,
right click on the menu bar, go to Security, then enable macros.

These are the only 2 things that I can think of that might be an issue for
you regarding macros and normal.dot. Good Luck!
Twila

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

It wasn't a Microsoft update. I have them all installed and have no problem
opening normal.dot.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Malcolm_T_TAFE" wrote in message
It appears that one of the security fixes for Office 2003 has
'appropriated'
Normal.dot by placing a password on it. This is something that I never
do,
as I do a lot of development in Word (just for myself) and I have some
incomplete macros there that I need to get finalised so that I can use
them.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Malcolm_T_TAFE Malcolm_T_TAFE is offline

Thanks for all the help. It seems that the password was set 'accidentally'
by me at some stage. The only way out is to write an app to crack the code
(which is something that I would rather not do).

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

It wasn't a Microsoft update. I have them all installed and have no problem
opening normal.dot.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Malcolm_T_TAFE" wrote in message
It appears that one of the security fixes for Office 2003 has
'appropriated'
Normal.dot by placing a password on it. This is something that I never
do,
as I do a lot of development in Word (just for myself) and I have some
incomplete macros there that I need to get finalised so that I can use
them.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Twila Twila is offline

Malcolm,
There is one more thing you might try. You can create a NEW normal.dot
simply by deleting the current one. Do a file search to locate it, then
delete it. The next time you open Word, it'll automatically re-create a new
normal.dot as Word knows when the normal.dot is missing and has recreation
capabilities in that respect. My assumption at that point is that it would
NOT be password protected. The only drawback I see is that you'll probably
lose all of your incomplete macros that might already be in the original,
password protected normal.dot. So, be aware that might be a determining
factor in whether or not you want to delete it. Good Luck!

Twila

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

It wasn't a Microsoft update. I have them all installed and have no problem
opening normal.dot.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Malcolm_T_TAFE" wrote in message
It appears that one of the security fixes for Office 2003 has
'appropriated'
Normal.dot by placing a password on it. This is something that I never
do,
as I do a lot of development in Word (just for myself) and I have some
incomplete macros there that I need to get finalised so that I can use
them.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fredrik E. Nilsen Fredrik E. Nilsen is offline

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 16:55:01 -0700, Malcolm_T_TAFE
wrote:

Thanks for all the help. It seems that the password was set 'accidentally'
by me at some stage. The only way out is to write an app to crack the code
(which is something that I would rather not do).

And it hasn't crossed your mind that someone else might have written
such an application already? Google is your friend, as (almost)
always.

--
Fredrik E. Nilsen

Macros [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 13 June 5th 06 04:14 PM
WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 06:26 PM
Macro help Kathryn Microsoft Word Help 22 May 12th 05 01:04 AM