Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mr B Mr B is offline

Default Default save location for opened documents

Hi there,

At work we have Word set automatically to save to a network drive for all
users. This works perfectly fine. The problem we have is that when someone
opens an attachment from email (Lotus Notes *gag*), Notes really downloads
the file to a temp folder on C and then opens it from there. THen when
someone goes to do a Save As.., it defaults to that folder on C. Problem iw
we have the C drive hidden so then the user gets an error.

Is there a way to change this so that even documents that are opened from an
existing location will default to save to the network drive?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

This is actually a Lotus Notes problem (double gag), rather than a Word
problem, so you'd probably find a better answer in a Lotus discussion group
rather than here.

If you find a solution to this, let me know. We use Notes at my workplace,
too, and this is a perennial problem that we have been unable to fix. It's
even worse if the person just Saves instead of doing a Save As. If you just
save, it goes to a temporary directory that is emptied out when you shut
down. Bye-bye document.

"Mr B" wrote:

Hi there,

At work we have Word set automatically to save to a network drive for all
users. This works perfectly fine. The problem we have is that when someone
opens an attachment from email (Lotus Notes *gag*), Notes really downloads
the file to a temp folder on C and then opens it from there. THen when
someone goes to do a Save As.., it defaults to that folder on C. Problem iw
we have the C drive hidden so then the user gets an error.

Is there a way to change this so that even documents that are opened from an
existing location will default to save to the network drive?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Idaho Word Man Idaho Word Man is offline

After answering the question I THOUGHT you asked, I took the time to read the
question you actually asked in your second paragraph.

How did you set Word to "automatically save to a network drive"? Did you
just set everybody's File Locations tab to a directory on your server? If
that's all you did, the answer to your question is "You really don't want to
force every document that is opened from an existing location [to] default to
save to the network drive." If your company is anything like every company I
have ever worked with, you have a complex structure of directories on your
server. Each department or organization probably has directories and
subdirectories for different kinds of documents.

If every document defaulted back to the main directory on the network drive
every time it was saved, every person who saved a document would have to
navigate back to the directory he/she needed to keep the document in -- every
time each document was saved. Anybody who forgot to navigate back to the
right directory would end up with two copies of the document -- one in the
main directory of the network drive and one in the subdirectory it had
originally been opened from.

Perhaps you have a much more sophisticated system that this, but if you
don't I think you'd find there was a lot more wasted effort involved in
navigating back to the correct directory every time you save than there is
with the occasional lost document.

"Mr B" wrote:

Hi there,

At work we have Word set automatically to save to a network drive for all
users. This works perfectly fine. The problem we have is that when someone
opens an attachment from email (Lotus Notes *gag*), Notes really downloads
the file to a temp folder on C and then opens it from there. THen when
someone goes to do a Save As.., it defaults to that folder on C. Problem iw
we have the C drive hidden so then the user gets an error.

Is there a way to change this so that even documents that are opened from an
existing location will default to save to the network drive?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mr B Mr B is offline

Yeah I suppose that's correct. I guess it'd be better to say:

Is there any way that if the directory it's saving to isn't found, that it
could default back to the normal save path?

That way if they were saving to the network, it would work fine, but if they
were saving to that Temp folder on C, it'd reject out and go back to the
normal path to save stuff to...

And yes, everyone's file locations settings have been changed. We push out
software via ZenWorks/Novell and it's all encorporated into that.

"Idaho Word Man" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP- Cindy M  -WordMVP- is offline

Hi ?B?SWRhaG8gV29yZCBNYW4=?=,

This is actually a Lotus Notes problem (double gag)

Actually, not only :-) The same thing with the temp files
also happens with Outlook. It would be so much better for
everyone's sanity if the email programs forced people to
save the attachments, first...

Cindy Meister