Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Louanne Louanne is offline

Default Word Template. How to prevent word using Others local template.

Hi

I created a document using a template.

When I sent the document to another person the formatting was overridden by
a template that they had with the same name as the template I had used.

How do I stop a document from picking up templates on others PCs and use my
one?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Louanne Louanne is offline

Hi

I am unable to control the names of the templates that my customers have and
cannot ensure that they are unique.

What I am looking for is some way to stop my documents from picking up other
templates.

"Louanne" wrote in message
Hi

I created a document using a template.

When I sent the document to another person the formatting was overridden
by
a template that they had with the same name as the template I had used.

How do I stop a document from picking up templates on others PCs and use
my
one?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

It's the name of YOUR template that needs to be unique. Base your document
on a template with a name that your clients are unlikely to use.

"Louanne" wrote in message
Hi

I created a document using a template.

When I sent the document to another person the formatting was
overridden
by
a template that they had with the same name as the template I had used.

How do I stop a document from picking up templates on others PCs and
use
my
one?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Louanne Louanne is offline

Hi Jezebel

This works most of the time however I have just been caught out and the
document under their template looks very unprofessional.

What I am looking for is a technical solution that does not rely on chance.
"unlikely" is not a 100% guarentee as I have already found out.

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards Louanne

"Louanne" wrote in message
Hi

I created a document using a template.

When I sent the document to another person the formatting was
overridden
by
a template that they had with the same name as the template I had used.

How do I stop a document from picking up templates on others PCs and
use
my
one?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

There is nothing you can do to stop the users screwing around with the
format of your document, whatever you do. If you name your template
something like "alskdjasdkljasdlkjaskdlaslkdjaksd.dot" then 'unlikely' is a
sufficiently remote possibility that you can ignore it.

"Louanne" wrote in message
Hi

I created a document using a template.

When I sent the document to another person the formatting was
overridden
by
a template that they had with the same name as the template I had
used.

How do I stop a document from picking up templates on others PCs and
use
my
one?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pat Garard Pat Garard is offline

Hmmm! Serpentine...
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Louanne" wrote in message
Hi

I created a document using a template.

When I sent the document to another person the formatting was
overridden
by
a template that they had with the same name as the template I had used.

How do I stop a document from picking up templates on others PCs and
use
my
one?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Louanne

In your document, do Tools Templates and Add-ins. Is the "Automatically
update document styles" box ticked?

If so, un-tick it. Then, make a minor change in the document (eg press
spacebar, then backspace). Then save your document.

Now, send it to your colleague.

If the problem is solved, you can read the explanation he
What happens when I send my document to someone else? Will Word mess up my
formatting?
http://www.ShaunaKelly.com/word/shar...matChange.html

If the problem is not solved, post back and let us know whether that box was
ticked, what is the name of the template in that dialog box, and what
version of Word you're using.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.

"Louanne" wrote in message
Hi

I created a document using a template.

When I sent the document to another person the formatting was overridden
by
a template that they had with the same name as the template I had used.

How do I stop a document from picking up templates on others PCs and use
my
one?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Louanne,

There are additional factors that come into play that you won't be able to control.

Word is text reflow software, rather than page layout software and the feature set is targeted to allow folks to edit/change the
content and appearance. If you're in a corporate environment where you can set standards and access to the specific fonts and
templates there are methods to establish those sorts of values.

Generally though, if the person reading your document is using a different printer, doesn't have all of the fonts you used, or has
chosen to update the document to use their style with the same name, or attach a different template, Word will accomodate how they
use the files on their computer, but many folks will just accept that what they see when they open a specific document in Word is
that this is how that document is supposed to appear in Word. (This gets really frustrating for people who spend a lot of time
'tweaking' a resume, for example, in Word then send it out as a .doc file not expecting the document to have a different look on
another computer).

If they're not going to be editing the document then using a PDF or similar 'picture of a document' format may be more suitable.

=========
"Louanne" wrote in message ...
Hi Jezebel

This works most of the time however I have just been caught out and the
document under their template looks very unprofessional.

What I am looking for is a technical solution that does not rely on chance.
"unlikely" is not a 100% guarentee as I have already found out.

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards Louanne
--
I hope this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office system products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends

LINKS to the 2007 Office System

1. Read about it, try it, or watch the movie
the 2007 Microsoft Office system info,
online Test Drive, or downloadable beta is at
http://microsoft.com/office/preview

2. Already have 2007 Office System Beta 2?
Send Microsoft your feedback (with pictures)
http://sas.office.microsoft.com/

3. Use the 2007 OfficeOnline website without Office2007

a. Install the ActiveX access control
http://office.microsoft.com/search/r...XT101650581033
b. then visit http://officebeta.iponet.net