Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.word.newusers
BK BK is offline

Default Pasting Table Info from Word to Excel

Using Office 2003. I have created a table in Word where the first column is
address information on 3 lines in one cell (Name, Address, City State Zip)

Before going further with this Word table, I decided I really wanted to
track the information in Excel. Having trouble pasting the 3 lines of
information from the Word table cell into one cell in Excel. It keeps
pasting into three cells (i.e. A1 gets the name, A2 gets the address, A3
gets the city state zip). I'd like these three lines of information to
paste into one three-line cell in the Excel table.

I've tried changing the Word table so that there is a manual line break at
the end of each line rather than a hard return. No difference when I paste
into Excel.

I've tried doing a paste special in Excel after I copy from Word. No
difference.

There must be something I haven't thought of trying.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ed Ed is offline

Try removing any kind of line break between the lines in Word. Then paste
the cell into Excel, and add an Alt+Enter where you want a break. Other
than that, what you're getting is normal behavior - Excel is doing what it
was designed to do.

Ed

"BK" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Debra Dalgleish Debra Dalgleish is offline

You could temporarily replace the paragraph marks in Word, as Dave
Peterson describes he

http://groups.google.ca/group/micros...bc07973?hl=en&

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.word.newusers
BK BK is offline

One more question: I added the ctrl+j in the replace box as Dave describes
and it worked like a charm. I was looking for some reference guide that
lists the characters to type into the replace box that will produce
different results. In Word, for example, I know how to enter a hard return
or a manual line break into the replace box. That options does not appear
to be available in Excel. How did someone know that ctrl+j would separate
my text into separate lines?

BK wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

ctrl-j is the same as alt-0010 on the number keypad. It's the same as =char(10)
in an excel formula (or alt-enter if you're just entering data).

ctrl-j is an old DOS(?) trick for entering this alt-0010 (j is the 10th letter
of the alphabet). It was a pretty common shortcut with really old word
processors.

I blame old age for knowing this trick.

BK wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.word.newusers
BK BK is offline

Dave

One more question: Where is the list of character shortcuts that lists
ctrl-j or alt-0010 or =char(10) as the shortcut for alt+enter?? Or do I
just need to start absorbing that information as I read through this
newsgroup?

BK wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

I don't know if there is a list.

In the old word processors, the shortcuts we ctrl-a for alt-0001, ctrl-b for
alt-0002, and so forth.

I don't think that these keystrokes have survived in the newer programs (save
ctrl-j).

My list has degenerated to just ctrl-j for alt-0010/char(10)/alt-enter.

BK wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.word.newusers
BK BK is offline

You've been a life saver with ctrl-j even if there aren't any other
shortcuts left on your list. I didn't know how else to "replace with"
alt-enter in the Excel find and replace sequence.

Thanks for your assistance!!

BK wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

You can use alt-0010 (from the number keypad).

It'll look like the box is empty, but try it and you'll see that it's not.

ctrl-j is easier to explain and easier to do, though.