Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Richard in AZ Richard in AZ is offline

Default Word 2007 in the MS Home & Student suite

The system requirements for the new MS Home & Student Suite states:

"Grammar and contextual spelling in Word is not turned on unless the machine has 1 GB memory."

Has anyone using this software with less than 1 GB of memory found that they can manually turn on
the spelling and grammar checks?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The ordinary proofing tools (the same type of spelling and grammar checkers
you had in previous versions) will work with less than 1 GB of memory.
"Contextual spelling" is something new in Word 2007.

"Richard in AZ" wrote in message
The system requirements for the new MS Home & Student Suite states:

"Grammar and contextual spelling in Word is not turned on unless the

machine has 1 GB memory."

Has anyone using this software with less than 1 GB of memory found that

they can manually turn on
the spelling and grammar checks?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Richard in AZ Richard in AZ is offline

Thanks Suzanne. I had not picked up on the "contextual" modifier. As I age, I could use both more
memory and the help that contextual spelling would give me.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The ordinary proofing tools (the same type of spelling and grammar checkers
you had in previous versions) will work with less than 1 GB of memory.
"Contextual spelling" is something new in Word 2007.

"Richard in AZ" wrote in message
The system requirements for the new MS Home & Student Suite states:

"Grammar and contextual spelling in Word is not turned on unless the

machine has 1 GB memory."

Has anyone using this software with less than 1 GB of memory found that

they can manually turn on
the spelling and grammar checks?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For more on the contextual spelling checker (which really is neat), see
http://blogs.msdn.com/jensenh/archiv...13/629124.aspx and
http://blogs.msdn.com/correcteurorth...05/617653.aspx

Also note that I am not confident about the grammar checker; the sysreqs you
read do suggest that grammar checking is lumped in with contextual spell
checking (which is pretty natural), so it may be that you'd need the extra
RAM for that as well. I never use the grammar checker, so I wouldn't miss
it, but I agree that the contextual spell check would be helpful.

"Richard in AZ" wrote in message
Thanks Suzanne. I had not picked up on the "contextual" modifier. As I

age, I could use both more
memory and the help that contextual spelling would give me.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The ordinary proofing tools (the same type of spelling and grammar

checkers
you had in previous versions) will work with less than 1 GB of memory.
"Contextual spelling" is something new in Word 2007.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.