mike laws

Default variable width of space characters

I have several word documents that arbitrarily switch between 'normal' MT
width of spaces and a 'narrow' width. I've tried all the Font character
spacing options, I hit the shift-f1 & the characters 'say' they are the
same, but they are NOT... when I paste the text into notepad, the 'width'
issue goes away, but when I paste it BACK into the word doc.... back it
comes.

I know that 'hand' spacing is not the preferred method, but these are
captures of screen prints and they are what they are.
mike laws

for all those who may run into this issue in the future...

I ran into the solution (by accident) it has to do with 'small caps' effect
being selected in the 'fonts' menu for the text, and for some reason it
arbitrarily deciding to go to small caps within the text (at wildly
inconsistent times)...

I'm not sure if it is a 'word' issue or an issue with the 'font'... somehow
I think that there will be a whole bunch of either apathy or finger pointing
as to where the problem lies, and whose responsability it is

IMHO, it SHOULD NOT do this, a MT font, should be a MT font regardless of
the 'specialness' of the font settings or the number of spaces in a line...

but in this case, I'm just a user, and you know what they say about users...
"never trust a user with your television overnight"

"Word Heretic" wrote:

G'day mike laws mike ,

Read the back issues from
www.editorium.com. There are numerous
Options settings to change the Word justifies and lays out text.

Steve Hudson - Word Heretic

Without prejudice

mike laws mike reckoned:

I have several word documents that arbitrarily switch between 'normal' MT
width of spaces and a 'narrow' width. I've tried all the Font character
spacing options, I hit the shift-f1 & the characters 'say' they are the
same, but they are NOT... when I paste the text into notepad, the 'width'
issue goes away, but when I paste it BACK into the word doc.... back it
comes.

I know that 'hand' spacing is not the preferred method, but these are
captures of screen prints and they are what they are.

Charles Kenyon

Try selecting your text and pressing Ctrl-Q and Ctrl-Spacebar to remove
direct formatting. See if this helps. Sometimes it is hard to get the
Shift-F1 report to be character specific.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.