Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DonnaP. DonnaP. is offline

Default Word Slow in Opening Documents from Network Server

We are running into a problem when trying to do a Local Open from within Word
2002 where the documents reside on one of our local servers. It takes
several minutes for the list of documents to populate after choosing File |
Open. The size of the folder is 1.68 GB but there are 65,515 files listed.
We are running Windows XP, SP2 and the computers have 512 MB of RAM. Is
there a limitation as to how many files should reside in a folder to be
productive in quickly opening same? Is there any workaround?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Donna

DonnaP. wrote:
We are running into a problem when trying to do a Local Open from within Word
2002 where the documents reside on one of our local servers. It takes
several minutes for the list of documents to populate after choosing File |
Open. The size of the folder is 1.68 GB but there are 65,515 files listed.
We are running Windows XP, SP2 and the computers have 512 MB of RAM. Is
there a limitation as to how many files should reside in a folder to be
productive in quickly opening same? Is there any workaround?

more probably a template issue after a server change, see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830561

HTH
Robert
--