Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe[_3_] Joe[_3_] is offline

Default appending pages to a word file?

If I'm preparing a long text file- often I'll prepare it as a series of
files rather than as a single long file. It's more convenient because often
such large files (for me) are already broken up into sections that are
usually less than a page anyways. Then if I need to edit a page I only need
to load the specific page not a long document.

This is fine except when I want to save the full item as a pdf file which I
can now do- with Office 2007- I downloaded the plug-in which can save the
file as a pdf.

But, I can't seem to find an easy way to start with the first page, then
tell Word to append each succeeding page. Since each page tends to have
complex formatting- which changes from page to page- it's not easy to just
copy each page to the clipboard, then paste into an appended blank page.

There must be an easier way.

Years ago I had a copy of Adobe Acrobat- and that program of course had a
nice easy way to append pdf files- so back then, I'd save each doc file to a
pdf, then append them one at a time- but, I don't have that computer and
Acrobat anymore and I can't afford to buy it.

Joe

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Joe,

If I'm preparing a long text file- often I'll prepare it as a series of
files rather than as a single long file. It's more convenient because often
such large files (for me) are already broken up into sections that are
usually less than a page anyways. Then if I need to edit a page I only need
to load the specific page not a long document.

This is fine except when I want to save the full item as a pdf file which I
can now do- with Office 2007- I downloaded the plug-in which can save the
file as a pdf.

But, I can't seem to find an easy way to start with the first page, then
tell Word to append each succeeding page. Since each page tends to have
complex formatting- which changes from page to page- it's not easy to just
copy each page to the clipboard, then paste into an appended blank page.

You could try setting up a "master file". Start with a blank document. Then
you can either

1. Insert/File and choose "Link". This will give you a "long" document, but
you needn't ever edit it. Just open it when you want to print.

2. Switch to the Outline view, click the "Master Document" button and use
those tools to insert each file as a sub-document. This is very similar to the
above, but Word will retain section-level formatting (headers, footers, etc.)
from the individual documents. However, this approach is generally less
stable, so never edit the individual documents through the master, and always
make back-up copies before using the master.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org