Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
John Kane John Kane is offline

Default Conditional formatting of text - how?

I am using Word 2007 with XP SP2. I have a mailmerge document which inserts
data correctly into a table but I wanted to format it conditional upon one of
the field values, ie for every record if the field Probationer is true, I
want the text to be green or even the cell background to be green. Can this
be done?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

There are no facilities in Word designed to do conditional formatting of
text, so the best you can do is to use { IF } fields that specify one set of
text and fields (let's call it "A") if a condition is true, and another set
("B") if false. As long as you can mark up "A" and "B" how you want, you can
probably achieve what you need.

FOr example, you might be able to do

{ IF { MERGEFIELD Probationer } = 1 "mark this text greenthe text" "don't
mark this text grennthe text" }

(where the idea is that you actually apply green formatting to the first
"the text" and not to the second.

However, I don't think you will be able to mark individual table cells green
or not green using this method. Also, you are pushing Word at this point -
try to keep it really simple.

Peter Jamieson

"John Kane" John wrote in message
I am using Word 2007 with XP SP2. I have a mailmerge document which
inserts
data correctly into a table but I wanted to format it conditional upon one
of
the field values, ie for every record if the field Probationer is true, I
want the text to be green or even the cell background to be green. Can
this
be done?

Conditional Formatting Patricia Microsoft Word Help 5 May 17th 06 03:11 PM
Conditional Formatting bhodge Mailmerge 2 February 28th 06 03:11 AM
Conditional Formatting roeserb Tables 3 January 12th 06 10:15 AM
Conditional Margin Formatting? (Advanced) kchantry Page Layout 1 November 1st 05 08:22 AM
how can I merge print and keep the conditional formatting Bob M Mailmerge 1 December 15th 04 02:32 PM