Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bsteyaert bsteyaert is offline

Default Linking Tables Within One (1) Word Document

I have a Word file set-up as a 'link' to an external Excel Spread
Sheet. Within that file I had all of my charts and tables that
reflected the data entered on only one 'Worksheet.' When ever I would
send the Word Doc to an associate they would be prompted with 'This
document contains links that may refer to other files. Do you want to
update this document with the data from the linked files?' If I don't
send the xls file with the doc, they loose the ability to make changes
or see the data. With a little research the only way is to embed
'Excel worksheets' within the Word document. But I can not for the
life of me figure out how to link those embedded 'worksheets' so I can
have the same set-up as I did with the 'linked' Excel Spreadsheet with
the multiple worksheets.

How can I link those embedded Worksheets together? (aka charts from
data from a table on another page?) Your help is much appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Although Word lets you make some types of link between embedded objects, in
my experience they stop working almost as soon as you have made them (partly
because Word keeps changing the link information).

I suggest you either
a. keep the external file, ensure that you send both files, and make sure
your associates know about Edit|Links, in case they have to re-establish
links or
b. if you only need to send a viewable/printable version of the document to
your associates (i.e. they do not need to open and work with the Excel
worksheet, unlink all the fields in your document before sending it - e.g.
- save and close the document
- make a copy and open it
- select all (e.g. control-A)
- ctrl-shift-F9 to "unlink the fields", i.e. leave the result, typically
in a picture format
- send the document.

I'd do (b) if I could but you may find that it doesn't leave the document
quite as you had hoped.

Peter Jamieson

oups.com...

Linking cells in tables deb Tables 1 January 23rd 07 11:22 AM
linking and sequential numbering of tables xppuser Tables 26 July 13th 06 01:52 PM
Linking multiple access tables in one word document Earl Microsoft Word Help 2 January 4th 06 01:23 PM
Linking Excel tables in Word? Foster Tables 1 April 27th 05 06:38 PM
Linking Excel data to tables in Word KSit Tables 3 November 26th 04 09:36 PM